Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Barbless Hook Points
« on: 08/12/2011 at 20:37 »
Are there any different opinions on the different 'style' of barbless hook points?

Looking at the picture above I've always felt more confident with the longer, sharper, upturned version as in the bottom hook (Partridge SLD in this case).
Tiemco obviously have faith in the design of the top one.
Iain

Sandy Nelson

Re: Barbless Hook Points
« Reply #1 on: 08/12/2011 at 20:39 »

Looking at the picture above I've always felt more confident with the longer, sharper, upturned version as in the bottom hook (Partridge SLD in this case).

Me too :z16

Sandy

Michael Buchan

« Reply #2 on: 08/12/2011 at 22:23 »
I now mostly tying on Hanak barbless which is upturned but  Not sure if it makes to much difference as before switching i tied mostly on Teimco 100 and mustad R50 which when debarbed would be straight and never thought i lost that much fish after hooking them :z8  I do think it looks cooler on the fly the upturned point

Michael

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 08/12/2011 at 23:07 »
Hi Mike,

Those two hooks as with any barbed hook 'could' possibly have the 'merest' of bumps even when debarbed, either way they both have a longer hook point than the TMC 900BL and a more conical taper as opposed to a scarf cut finish which looks odd and the thinking behind that is what I'm questioning.

Have you bought a fly box yet?

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com