Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Thinking about.......
« Reply #15 on: 06/12/2011 at 22:05 »
Clive ( :z4 sorry that's a crackin' handle),

IMHO I'd go for a bobbin holder with a ceramic tube. It looks like you are on your way to saving a couple of pounds from the start so I'd invest in one. Things are going to be hard enough when you are learning to tie without the thread fraying & snaping on you because of a poorly finished spiggot. Look after them and they will last you for, eh, a long time.

I've a few holders with metal tubes - some are spot on and a couple of others are poor, one in particular is hellish.

Give it some thought.

Iain

bobinalong

« Reply #16 on: 07/12/2011 at 09:41 »
Thanks Iain,

Not sure how one could survive without this forum, you guys are very kind, helpful and encouraging  :z14 :z16 :z16 I will take your advice on the bobbin holders and hit ebay for a few more tools of the trade  :grin :grin :grin :grin

Frankly I can't wait to get going  :z16 :z16

:z18

:z18 (this one is for Rabbitangler)

Clive

bobinalong

« Reply #17 on: 12/12/2011 at 17:34 »
Can someone please elucidate on the subject of bobbin holders.  :?
They seem to come in a variety of guises. I have taken Iain's advice and bought one ceramic tipped  :z16, but when I look for a second one, do I go for a flared tube  :z8 (not offered in ceramic), wide tube  :roll (also not offered in ceramic).  :z8 :X1 :z8  :roll
The water is looking kind-of-murky at present.  :? :? :? :? :? :?

Clive

Irvine Ross

« Reply #18 on: 12/12/2011 at 19:11 »
Clive

I have survived for years without either a flared or a wide tube bobbin holder, so my guess is, you won't need either at this stage. I would have said I tend to work on the KISS principle but I'm sure someone will see that as an opportunity for a witty riposte.   :wink

Irvine

bobinalong

« Reply #19 on: 13/12/2011 at 16:39 »
Clive

I have survived for years without either a flared or a wide tube bobbin holder, so my guess is, you won't need either at this stage. I would have said I tend to work on the KISS principle but I'm sure someone will see that as an opportunity for a witty riposte.   :wink

Irvine

Thanks Irvine.  :z16 I had a feeling that might be the answer.  :z16 :z16 :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com