Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: Gloves ..... What's best?
« Reply #15 on: 01/02/2012 at 18:35 »
Your hands getting cold is generally a sign that your core is getting cold.  I find that if I really wrap up warm when fishing there is little need for gloves even on the coldest most miserable days.  Typically, long johns thick trackie bottoms, thermal vest, t-shirt, thin micro fleece, synthetic down jacket, wading jacket, buff and wooly bunnet.  That should do the trick.  My wading jacket also has neoprene cuffs which I can bring down over my hands but leaves my fingers exposed if I'm realy cold.

jpm75

« Reply #16 on: 01/02/2012 at 20:28 »
How do ya move with that amount of clothes on, let alone cast.
John.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #17 on: 01/02/2012 at 20:36 »
Your hands getting cold is generally a sign that your core is getting cold.  I find that if I really wrap up warm when fishing there is little need for gloves even on the coldest most miserable days.  Typically, long johns thick trackie bottoms, thermal vest, t-shirt, thin micro fleece, synthetic down jacket, wading jacket, buff and wooly bunnet.  That should do the trick.  My wading jacket also has neoprene cuffs which I can bring down over my hands but leaves my fingers exposed if I'm realy cold.

Mattheus,
you forgot to mention your thermal onesie, Tibbles!  :z4 :z7

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #18 on: 01/02/2012 at 21:38 »
Gloves, onesie, jacket , cmon girls  :X2 :X2

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 02/02/2012 at 08:32 »

Blimey!!

A good set of thermal underwear (HH or Paramo), A microfleece and a Paramo jacket over the top and a pair of windproof cotton trousers does it for me. It I am wading I have a pair of zip on padded army thermals (Mao suit) that I zip over my normal trousers. This gives extra insulation to the plums!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #20 on: 02/02/2012 at 11:30 »
How do ya move with that amount of clothes on, let alone cast.
John.

It sounds like a lot but to be honest the synthetic down jacket is so think that it's not that restrictive at all. 

Blimey!!

A good set of thermal underwear (HH or Paramo), A microfleece and a Paramo jacket over the top and a pair of windproof cotton trousers does it for me. It I am wading I have a pair of zip on padded army thermals (Mao suit) that I zip over my normal trousers. This gives extra insulation to the plums!

Get merino rather than HH.  Much warmer and less smell.  And the above outfit was for wading.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 02/02/2012 at 11:40 »
Get merino rather than HH.  Much warmer and less smell.  And the above outfit was for wading.

Sort of agree :) The cost of proper merino is a bit much, but the Paramo out performs both HH and merino in both smell resistence and heat.

Having said that, I have a new HH Lifa top and that has silver threads through it to combat bacteria and thus smell. Jolly effective when out walking/climbing.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #22 on: 02/02/2012 at 14:50 »
Sort of agree :) The cost of proper merino is a bit much,

search for the sales.  Picked up an ice breaker top for 20quid the other day. 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com