Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Gloves ..... What's best?
« on: 27/11/2011 at 13:59 »
Getting to that time of year again ...... so as the topic heading says: Gloves ..... What's best?

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

Re: Gloves ..... What's best?
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2011 at 14:12 »
For me its just man up and get on with it!
Cant be doing with any gloves on my hands when fishing, if anything i would have some hand warmers to warm my hands up if it was that cold!

http://www.tiso.com/shop/littlehottie/hand-warmers-single-use/

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2011 at 18:58 »
Gloves are like spectacles and condoms - blokes don't like to wear them but when you HAVE too them must be comfortable and functional.

I've tried a few types over the decades and am happy with my simms fingerless ones

Don't like wearing them (when fishing) except in the coldest of conditions.

Iain

outspan001

« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2012 at 04:40 »
Hi there,

I personally think the best gloves that you can get full stop are the Seal Skinz ultragrip waterproof glove. They are 100% water and windproof, they are tight fitting and are dexterous, really good. I have fished in mine, and also use them as winter mountineering gloves ( if the weather is not to terrible!), always kept my hands warm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealskinz-Ultragrip-Waterproof-Glove/dp/B000UFOOZ2

Cheers

Mark

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 27/01/2012 at 07:46 »
Never liked the Sealskinz, nor any neoprene gloves.what I wear now are fingerless woollen gloves, they obviouslly get wet, but still retain the heat.

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 27/01/2012 at 08:09 »
I like the sealskinz too. However, I have only used them when fly fishing for Pike so its large barbless hooks. Not sure how they would be with small barbed flies?

Many years ago when I used to do a lot of boat fishing for Cod, I would wear a pair of the blue food/surgical gloves on my hands, followed by woolen gloves, The blue gloves kept my hand dry and clean, and I could still tie knots etc, and the woolen gloves gave a bit of warmth but could be whipped off when a fish needed unhooking.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 27/01/2012 at 20:49 »
I have some Snobee neoprenes that are decent enough the fore fingers and thumbs are tipless for tying things up
 easgach1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 30/01/2012 at 22:13 »
I like my Orvis fingerless fleece gloves, they'll match your jacket Mike.

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 30/01/2012 at 23:30 »
Yep, I am using the Orvis fingerless fleece gloves too ........ Liking them a lot :z16

Don't think I'd go back to neoprene now.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 31/01/2012 at 08:09 »
Yep, I am using the Orvis fingerless fleece gloves too ........ Liking them a lot :z16

Don't think I'd go back to neoprene now.

Cheers
Mike

Cass swears by her ones too, and swears at them.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #10 on: 31/01/2012 at 19:52 »
Not much good if you get them wet though, I have a pair of Orvis fleece Ok if you keep them dry, easgach1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 31/01/2012 at 21:11 »
Same as any fleece, wring it out if wet and it starts keeping you warm again unlike wool which, once wet keeps you cold if there is anything more than a slight chill breeze.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 31/01/2012 at 22:19 »
unlike wool which, once wet keeps you cold if there is anything more than a slight chill breeze.

Pure wool keeps you warm when wet...just ask a sheep :) Add acrylic/nylon and its no where near as good. Merino gloves are the warmest when wet (tiz what mountaineers where)

outspan001

« Reply #13 on: 01/02/2012 at 11:05 »
I use the merino wool liner gloves under my full winter mountain gloves i use for climbing Munros in the winter, which need a liner to be properly warm.

Never tried fishing in them though!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 01/02/2012 at 16:02 »
Never tried fishing in them though!

I would not bother, they get stretchy...lol. You end up with fingers like ET  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com