Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

bobinalong

Testing the water..........
« on: 23/11/2011 at 20:26 »
Hi all, I am new to this fine forum. Only discovered it when I bought a Barrio 3DTf line for my new rod. If you guys are as good as  Mike's lines I could be happy here.  :wink

Sandy Nelson

Re: Testing the water..........
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2011 at 20:33 »
Welcome Bob

Good choice of line :z16, Hope you enjoy our company as much

Cheers :z18

Sandy

bobinalong

« Reply #2 on: 23/11/2011 at 20:46 »
Cheers Sandy  :z18

I'm sure that I will.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 24/11/2011 at 00:07 »
Welcome to the forum Bob :z16

Pleased to read that you like the fly line.

Best wishes
Mike

bobinalong

« Reply #4 on: 24/11/2011 at 18:26 »
Thanks Mike.
The line works beautifully with my Greys GRXi + 7ft 3 weight. Managed to fool one nice brownie so far, which is not as bad as it sounds, as we don’t get a lot of wild brown trout in the small rivers I fish down here in the SE. I wonder, is it sacrilegious to catch chub, dace, perch and roach on such elevated gear?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 24/11/2011 at 19:31 »
Hi Bobingalong,

I personally can't see past Salmonoids when it comes to fly fishing but that's just what I'm used to and I'd go for any fish that could be taken on the fly especially if they can be taken on 'trout methods' and even better if from running water.

It'd be great to see pictures of the waters and species that you catch.  :z16

Iain

bobinalong

« Reply #6 on: 24/11/2011 at 20:20 »
Hi Iain

What I like is to fish for trout in fast flowing streams and rivers, but sadly this is neither Scotland nor Wales. So what I do is fish the local fast flowing streams and rivers as one would fish for trout. For instance last Friday I took 10 chub and 3 roach fishing a dry caddis upstream on a 9ft leader, great fun. None of the fish are big but in the fast shallow, gin clear water they fight well. We have many well-stocked trout lakes nearby and I do fish them on occasion, but I do love the fast water.  :z16 I’ll try to post some images sometime soon.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 24/11/2011 at 20:29 »
Hi Clive

How far S.E.? i've often fancied trying coarse fish on the fly, I imagine on a fast wee river Dace and Chub would be as much fun as trout and would rise fairly readily to the dryfly.
7ft 3wt..... i like your style :z16

cheers

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 24/11/2011 at 20:45 »
last Friday I took 10 chub and 3 roach fishing a dry caddis upstream on a 9ft leader

cool!

Looking forward to the photo's

Iain

bobinalong

« Reply #9 on: 24/11/2011 at 20:51 »
Hello Sandy

I am Nr. Tonbridge in Kent, so I fish small tributaries of the Medway and chalk streams like the Cray and the Darent. These are full of fish but seemingly pretty much devoid of trout these days although there are a few  :X2. All of the ways you will fish for trout I will catch a wide selection of course fish on. Although I do find wet fly difficult as the rivers and streams are usually no more than 2metres wide and run fast and shallow.

bobinalong

« Reply #10 on: 26/11/2011 at 09:30 »
OK here are some photo's............now lets see if I can do this.

Just in case it all goes pear shaped, the first and second pics are of the river Darent, where if you are really lucky you might get one trout annually. The third, with the ranunculus beds and the fast flowing trouty looking water, has no trout but smallish chub that are a joy on a dry fly.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 26/11/2011 at 09:38 »
Looks lovely Clive :z16 Cheers for sharing

Looks like just the place for a 6'6" fibreglass rod :z3 and some wee dryflies.. cool... :z12
The first would be a good entry for the photo comp, i love the light shining into the arch of the bridge, if you cropped the rod out of the bottom it would almost be a calendar shot :z16 very nice.

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 26/11/2011 at 16:35 »
Hi Clive?

1st two photo's are the best for me, look like they were made for working your way upstream with the 2wt.
Any species from that type of water would be good fun.

Great stuff

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 26/11/2011 at 19:50 »
There's a competition in the States called "Carp Diem", in which you have to c&r carp using fly only. The best anglers do this with a dry fly, so I reckon what you're doing is practising for going to America and kicking ass  :z16

There is nothing wrong with catching fish that are "coarse" with a fly. It is just snobbish to think otherwise so keep at it.

The water looks superb and everyone needs a superb local water. And if nobody else fishes it due to lack of trout, it's all yours.  :z4

Loving the photos. Keep the rod out of them and you'll have a really cool set to use as a screen saver.
More than anything, enjoy it.
Oh and watch out for a bunch of chaps from up north arriving with 2 and 3 weight rods...

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 26/11/2011 at 20:24 »
Great looking stream, especially in the top two photos, I'd love to fish there! :z16

Thanks for posting them.
Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com