Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: cork handles
« Reply #15 on: 30/11/2011 at 17:43 »
Or Nutella spread...but I keep finding Cass pinned to the floor, so make sure the trap is out of human reach!

Will Shaw

« Reply #16 on: 04/12/2011 at 16:16 »
Yesterday evening I baited the traps. I had run out of superglue, so it was just cheddar and jam. A couple of hours later I wandered into the kitchen to find (a) two out of the three traps with the bait gone, but not triggered and (b) a very drunk looking mouse staggering around in the middle of the floor. It couldn't seem to get itself on an even keel and just skittered about in circles. The skillful application of the v.stylish Orvis priest soon put an end to the circles, and pretty much anything else it had in mind.

So, has anyone else come across a mouse with whirling disease? Is this the natural consequence of eating half your body weight in cheddar and strawberry jam?

Come on - the world needs to know!

W.

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 04/12/2011 at 17:23 »
So, what you're saying Will, is that Orvis made a big impression on a 'drunk' mouse and was the last thing (or brand) to go through it's mind :?  :z4 :z7

H :z3

Will Shaw

« Reply #18 on: 04/12/2011 at 17:28 »
 :X2

:z18

W.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 04/12/2011 at 17:28 »
Serious question Will, you've not got any boxes of wine lying around that you've not checked or anything else munch throughable that contains alcohol?

Never seen that before and I'd say I've now got quite a lot of experience in mouse related matters and have seen them in many differing states, from not at all dead to almost dead to positively splattered.

Superglued hardish cheese is the best thing I've found, even if the trap is not set sensitively enough to go off immediately, if they've got to gnaw at the bait then it is only a matter of time before they cop it. What traps you on?  I've had best results with the little nipper wooden jobs, they are tweakable to make them mega sensitive, take a bit of emery cloth to the top of the pin and squidge the hairpin bit with some pliers, makes them a PITA to set but they are lethal.  Never fails  :wink 
Other than having to listen to the dude that reads the sport on the BBC Scottish news, I struggle to think of anything more annoying than giving a mouse a free meal so I've spent quite a bit of time looking at this shit  :z4
Most of the plastic or metal traps are crap.  Those vegetarian traps that allow you to 'capture' and relocate the cute little mousey are quite good but it becomes wearing putting the live mouse into a box and taking it outside to humanely dispatch it, but it is the best way to get them all IMO and you always know they've had a quick death.

Cheers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #20 on: 04/12/2011 at 18:24 »
"Other than having to listen to the dude that reads the sport on the BBC Scottish news, I struggle to think of anything more annoying than giving a mouse a free meal so I've spent quite a bit of time looking at this shit"

Hey, you leave my mate Dougie Vipond alone!
I agree with what you are saying about free meals for vermin, and I know Dougie is a drummer (fair game) but steady on old boy.  :z7

Oh and I'm willing to check Wills wine collection to see if any are "corked"  :z18

:z1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #21 on: 04/12/2011 at 18:50 »

Hey, you leave my mate Dougie Vipond alone!

The other one, Vipond is fine, David Curry I'm talking about

Euan Innes

« Reply #22 on: 04/12/2011 at 19:58 »
Aye, no problem, he's a twat! :z4
Say what you like!

Will Shaw

« Reply #23 on: 04/12/2011 at 20:50 »
Excellent stuff guys!  :grin :grin

I was already thinking of upgrading to the wooden traps. I've got some metal ones, and I think the old school ones look more effective. Wonder if they do them in bamboo?

W.

Hamish Young

« Reply #24 on: 04/12/2011 at 23:07 »
Wonder if they do them in bamboo?

No, a Chinese test programme found that under the duress of many mouse kills bamboo fractures and you get split cane.......  :z7 :grin

H :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 04/12/2011 at 23:14 »
Split cane ......  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 04/12/2011 at 23:44 »
Seriously..chocolate spread or Nutella is the way forward.

Because it is sticky they really have to work at getting the last of it. I have yet to find an empty trap in the house, its either a very very dead mouse or the spread is untouched.

We have blacj plastic traps that have a serated edge on the "snapping" bit and a wee yellow cup where you put the bait. Seem to be the best we have found.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 04/12/2011 at 23:54 »
Not seen them Rob, I've not tried chocolate spread but Jam & bread gets lifted, strawberry jam works O.K but Jam goes off too quick.  They don't seem too fond of raspberry jam!

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #28 on: 05/12/2011 at 11:15 »
Aye, no problem, he's a twat! :z4
Say what you like!

David Currie is a mate of mine, and a really good guy! Supports Dumbarton FC, that's about his only character flaw...

Iain Cameron

« Reply #29 on: 05/12/2011 at 11:16 »
... and I think, judging by the quality of recent posts on this forum, that we all really, really need to get out fishing more... it's gonna be a long winter!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com