Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

lostfly

cork handles
« on: 23/11/2011 at 20:05 »
Wonder if anyone can help?
It would appear that rod manufacturers are having trouble sourcing good quality cork for their rods.
I purchased a Guideline rod last year and within weeks noticed that the cork was starting to crack. Had it replaced a month or two back and exactly the same has happened again.
Haven spoken to a number of other anglers using much more expensive rods they too have encountered the same problem.

Is it possible to fill these cracks and if so what procedure and materials would you recommend.

Andy

Sandy Nelson

Re: cork handles
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2011 at 20:12 »
What does the crack look like?

Is it radial around a join in the chives or is it lengthwise? It could be repaired either way, i'd try flexing it to open it up and filling it with araldite, if that is feasible, Gorrilla grip might be even better, just remember either way, to wipe the excess of the cork and leave it to fully harden before handling.
Difficult without seeing it and not much fun if it falls on the part of the handle that your hand touches :z6

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 23/11/2011 at 22:56 »
Take a picture and post it, would be useful to see it.

Good cork is available by the bucket load if you are prepared to pay for it, most aren't or can't and still keep rods at a sensible price.

Cheers

Ben

lostfly

« Reply #3 on: 24/11/2011 at 19:26 »
Hope this photo explains a bit better than my written effort.
Would be interested to know if a repair job is worth the time and effort.
Or whether a replacement would be more practical and if so what is involved.

Andy

lostfly

« Reply #4 on: 24/11/2011 at 19:30 »

Ok.

Hopefully I've got the photo attached now.

Andy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 24/11/2011 at 20:25 »
Hi Andy

I take it , its the radial crack in the join of the shives that you are worried about, rather than the bits where the filler is falling out.

Personally i'd get some gorilla grip or even PVA glue and work it into the crack gently, wipe all the excess of the surface and leave to dry for a few days, then it should be as good as new. If some dried glue is on the cork once its done, then just rub it off gently (use 800 grit sandpaper if necessary, but only if you have too)
Try to open the crack up a little by pushing the shives on either side,  the cork is slightly pliable so should move a little and then spring back into shape :z16 should be no big deal to fix :z16

Hope it helps

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #6 on: 25/11/2011 at 13:29 »
Interesting thread. I have got an old version Diawa 10' 6/8 Whisker that the meeces have decided to chew the cork handle to buggery in the shed and have thought about trying to get it repaired. It is a sentimental rod as it was used in competitions on Leven, Menteith and Fitty as well as for Sea Trout on the Don and on a very memorable trip the the Western Isles. Mice have since been exterminated ! Also chewed the baws out of my chesties.

All this talk of cork handles reminds me I must go and buy some fork handles.......or was it four candles ?  :z4
NB. Readers below the age of 35 might not get it !

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 25/11/2011 at 17:10 »
Mice have since been exterminated ! Also chewed the baws out of my chesties.

All this talk of cork handles reminds me I must go and buy some fork handles.......or was it four candles ?  :z4
NB. Readers below the age of 35 might not get it !

Lindsay

You could get the cork replaced I'm sure.

They'll be back, I'm still getting on average 6 a week, keep the traps set!  Red Leicester superglued on to the trap is working well, nothing more irritating that checking a trap and finding no mouse and no bait.

Too young, don't get!

Ben

Alex Burnett

« Reply #8 on: 25/11/2011 at 18:17 »

lostfly

« Reply #9 on: 26/11/2011 at 12:46 »
Just a quick thanks for the advice and help given.

Andy

Loxiafan

« Reply #10 on: 27/11/2011 at 16:12 »
Thanks for putting up the clip Catman ! Yep, don't make em like that anymore - Michael McIntyre eat your hear out (can't stand him :mad).

Ronnie C was on an episode of "Would I Lie to You" a few months ago and the whole "fork handles" thing came up with Lee Mack  :z4

Good news my Whisker can be repaired Ben, will have to look in to that. Mice were exterminated in March past - have never come back, "hasta la vista" as the great man once said  :wink

Lindsay

Will Shaw

« Reply #11 on: 27/11/2011 at 17:31 »
You could get the cork replaced I'm sure.

They'll be back, I'm still getting on average 6 a week, keep the traps set!  Red Leicester superglued on to the trap is working well, nothing more irritating that checking a trap and finding no mouse and no bait.

Too young, don't get!

Ben

Superglue! Brilliant Ben. I had 5 last week, and a few raided traps. Think I've got them on the run for the moment - nothing for two nights.

W.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 27/11/2011 at 17:33 »
Great stuff Will :z16

I can see us starting a mice hunting section on the forum :z4

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #13 on: 27/11/2011 at 19:20 »
Guys........... GET A CAT!

It's the way forward especially if you live on a farm!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 27/11/2011 at 19:25 »
sorry guys, chocolate is the best thing - chuffers might turn their noses up at a bit of gouda but they won't pass up a milky way. :z4

guaranteed.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com