Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Orvis reel seats!!!
« on: 19/03/2007 at 11:35 »
Well, my lovely new Orvis has a fatal flaw..none of my reels fit properly, and nor did the Loop I tried at Mikes..and worse still, after driving all the way back to Banchory, none of the Orvis reels fitted either!!!  :mad:

A tad annoyed..waiting to hear back from Orvis customer services  :z6

Basically the front "hood" of the seat is shallow and wide meaning that the reel feet either do not go in very far, or, if in, will rock 3-4 millimetres either way, even with the seat done up fully.

Does not sound a lot, but it means the reel ends up about an inch out of allignement when casting and I am also worried about damaging the reel and the seat itself via scuffing.

Hamish Young

Orvis reel seats!!!
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2007 at 12:23 »
I have no sympathy at all - you know you should have built your own rod Rob.... :shock:  :wink:
Folks - I'm kidding (just in case anyone thinks I'm being serious :!:).

Is it just me or are more and more folks having 'issues' with the tackle they're buying from what were/are arguably premium brands :?: It just seems odd to me - smacks of a lack of care  :cry:   Mind you, as Sandy will doubtless agree, what Orvis had bunged onto the handle of the Trident that he re-fitted for me was 'amusing' :z6

Rob Brownfield

Orvis reel seats!!!
« Reply #2 on: 19/03/2007 at 14:56 »
Hamish,
I looked and looked and looked for a suitable blank to build my own, but I could not find anything I liked to tell the truth. Everything was either to tippy (ie, saltwater blank) or very heavy.

Having said that, I am hoping Cas will bring home a nice Loomis blank for me next time she is in Texas  :grin:

You know what it is like though...the rod was recommended to me,  had a cast, I just HAD to have one..lol.

Sandy Nelson

Orvis reel seats!!!
« Reply #3 on: 20/03/2007 at 10:08 »
Rob

If the reel seat is the problem, why not soak it for a while  let the double sided tape get soggy and then pull it off and fit a nice sensible one.
It should come off the butt end so you shouldn't affect the fwd cork handle.
You might need a new extension though, although it should come off too.

i'm surprised you didn't do this, if the rod is sweet just modify it, bollocks to the warranty its covered by your household ins anyway.
Nice alloy ones with fish on at www.guidesnblanks.co.uk

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Orvis reel seats!!!
« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2007 at 14:44 »
The problem is the hood that slots into the handle. Removing this bit would damage the handle as its glued in.

Anyway, dont see why I have to bugger around with £255 worth of rod..its there problem :)

They have sent me a new one, saying that the reel seat must be faulty...not so sure myself..looks like a bad design. Should be here tomorrow :)

Now if I could get just the blank.......hmmmmmmmmmmm :?:

As for the reel seats...I saw a lovely one on a US site..had a Pike on it..stunning!!

Rob Brownfield

Orvis reel seats!!!
« Reply #5 on: 21/03/2007 at 16:14 »
True to there word, a brand new rod arrived at work today....but the reel seat looks the same..hmm..need to try it at home...but at least I can say there customer care is spot on!!

Rob Brownfield

Orvis reel seats!!!
« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2007 at 08:52 »
Well, the reel seat is better. The reel still rocks a little, BUT, it suddnly clicks in place and you can do the ring up another quarter turn.

Customer services have said they will look at the design etc etc.

On a good note, used it a couple of times, lovely rod!! Chucks my big double bunny bugs no problem...even punching them into a head wind :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com