Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sieger Devries

Hunting for Pike in Dutch 'Polders'
« on: 21/11/2011 at 20:17 »
When dry-fly and nymph fishing are going to the end I like to go hunt for Pike in the Dutch Polders (ditches/canals)...
Yesterday we went out for pike the first time this season an what a great day it was... Fog, cold and autumn colors made it a real pike-day....

I was able to hook 4 pike during the day and we had many followers and takes... not to many were landed, but that pike fishing....

I wrote a blog on it... It's in dutch but there is a translate button on it (comes up with some pretty weird stuff sometimes...  :wink ) Maybe you like to take a look:  http://tight-loops.nl/?p=1071

Here are some 'teasing' pics...

Noel Kelly

Re: Hunting for Pike in Dutch 'Polders'
« Reply #1 on: 21/11/2011 at 21:29 »
Some really nice pics there Sieger :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 21/11/2011 at 22:00 »
Seiner,

Nice blog - managed to get most of the translation.

That first picture would have been a cracking way to start off the photo competition! :z16

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 21/11/2011 at 22:56 »
Very interesting colouration on those fish! Is the water clear or dirty?

Here we tend to get very pale, light coloured fish from muddy/dirth water and very bold pattened, green and yellow/white Pike from clear waters.

Those remind me of Pike I have taken from a highland loch that came from very peat stained water.

Thank you for sharing.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 22/11/2011 at 14:19 »
Hi Sieger :cool:

Loving the atmosphere in the foggy photos :z16

It's always nice to see what sport folk are enjoying in other parts of the world. Google translate kind of got there with a translation of your blog and I think I managed to get a feel for the story ...... great stuff!

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 22/11/2011 at 18:13 »
Aye its good to see reports from different countriw. Looks like fun Sieger  :z16

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 22/11/2011 at 18:48 »
Sorry Sieger,

Just noticed that I misspelled your name.........flipping IPad :oops

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #7 on: 22/11/2011 at 19:12 »
Come on Iain

You canna blame your poor defenceless iPad   :X2

Alex

Sieger Devries

« Reply #8 on: 22/11/2011 at 20:40 »
Thanks guys, it's really nice and typical Dutch "winter-fishing" but still not that many who use the fly for it... (Streamers..)...

The waters I mostly fish in are peat-ditsches and canals... that's why these pike are really dark colored... They even get darker than these.. In this season it's mostly clear, but farmer are pulling out weeds during these weeks so you have to be there in the right moment.... Can be really muddy... In the summer this place can hardly be fished... It's full of weeds and water plants ... Nice for beautiful roach though...  :wink

Thanks for reminding the photo contest...!

And Iain ... got an iPad too so know the feeling...  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com