Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

Cormorant Watch
« on: 23/11/2011 at 10:58 »
If you spot one of these you can report it together with Mergansers and Goosanders. Here is the link:

http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=730&sectionTitle=Cormorant+Watch

Richard

Mike Barrio

Re: Cormorant Watch
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2011 at 11:23 »
Hi Richard :z16

Have had a look at the website before, I get the impression that some of the reports may well be bogus? ...... a sighting of 136 cormorants 'eating' on a canal in the middle of the Cairngorm mountains?

Best wishes
Mike

Richard Tong

« Reply #2 on: 24/11/2011 at 08:53 »
Mike

Seems like some folk who don't see that these predators do any harm on inland waters may be messing about with this site then, which is a shame as it makes it difficult to distinguish between genuine sightings and bogus ones,

Richard

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 24/11/2011 at 09:16 »
Hi Richard :z16

Have had a look at the website before, I get the impression that some of the reports may well be bogus? ...... a sighting of 136 cormorants 'eating' on a canal in the middle of the Cairngorm mountains?

Best wishes
Mike

That's not a very nice description of the Spey  :z7

But it is a shame that some folk are not taking it seriously. Incidentally, after two recent trips to Loch Leven (not fishing) I have yet to see a cormorant, which has to be a good thing.

H :z3

lenap

« Reply #4 on: 24/11/2011 at 14:05 »
PRIVATE RANCH FISHING IN MONTANA, TYPICAL FOR A LAND/ RANCH OWNER TO HAVE A FEDERAL LICENCE TO SHOOT PELICANS AS WELL AS CORMORANTS. BOTH OF THESE BIRDS CAN LITERALLY WIPE OUT A FISH STOCK IN DAYS ON HIGH MOUNTAIN PONDS. WEATHER YOU AGREE OR NOT TO THIS PRACTICE, IF ALL OF YOUR EFFORT WAS BEING  CONSUMED ON A REGULAR BASIS , THE LEGAL WAY OUT WOULD CERTAINLY HELP YOUR WORK RESULT. I CAN REMEMBER A PELICAN SHOOT AT DAWN , FIRST LIGHT , BIRDS WERE COMING FROM CALIF. ALL BUT STOPPED NOW. FISH ARE LIVING , AND BIRDS MOVED ON.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 24/11/2011 at 14:43 »
THANKS LENAP.
THE BU****S ARE OVER HERE NOW (NOT THE PELICANS OF COURSE  :X2)

IAIN

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 24/11/2011 at 19:56 »
Incidentally, after two recent trips to Loch Leven (not fishing) I have yet to see a cormorant, which has to be a good thing.

Up until quite recently there were dozens outside my hoosie. Where they should be..... in saltwater :grin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com