billirvine5

pike flies
« on: 07/02/2012 at 19:14 »
looking for information on the twin hook set up for the maelstrom fly

Rob Brownfield

Re: pike flies
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2012 at 00:40 »
Out of interest, why two hooks?

Thats a Pike fly i have not heard of, any photos available?? Always on the look out for new flies :)

billirvine5

« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2012 at 07:47 »
if you go to  vermontflyguys web site there is pictures of them there

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2012 at 09:25 »
Ahhhhhh...right, these are a fly tied by a chap called Ad Swier from Holland. Looks like they have copied, added a slightly different head and renamed.

I tied one of these at one of the Orvis tie demo things that Ben held a couple of winters back. Dead easy.

Maybe I should sell them on Ebay if they are getting $22 a fly!!!

As for attaching the rear hook, if I want a fully articulated fly with lots of wiggle, I whip a length of 30lb Amnesia (or Berkley Big Game Leader) along the top of the front hook and super glue it, pop the pre tied rear hook onto the Amnesia and create a loop about 10mm in size and run it back along the shank of the front hook. I then coat in super glue and whip back down and up to the eye again, and more super glue. If you slightly crimp the sections of Amnesia that you want to whip over, it grips even better.

I have also used small berkley snaps at the rear of the front hook (tied onto a loop) so that I can change the rear hook for different colours. I then tie the front hooks in Red, Yellow, Black Orange and white, then the same for the detachable rears. That way I can have, say a Red front with a white rear, then if the pike start to get finicky, I can change the rear for a black one, etc etc. Also helps when hooks get damaged as you can change them over.

Hope that makes sense and is of some use?

I do have a few other methods of extending the fly but its too difficult to explain in words. Maybe I should to a SBS for them?

billirvine5

« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2012 at 12:12 »
Hi Rob
Thanks for the response,these look nice flies i will give them a try
If you have any further information you can pass on i would be quite pleased
again thank you

Bill

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2012 at 13:38 »
Where abouts are you based? Its far easier to show rather than explain in words.

Cheers
Rob

billirvine5

« Reply #6 on: 08/02/2012 at 14:58 »
Rob
I live in glasgow

Bill

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 08/02/2012 at 16:24 »
Ahhh..bit far to go...lol.

I will see about doing some step by steps...I need to start stocking up for spring!

billirvine5

« Reply #8 on: 08/02/2012 at 18:16 »
where are you based

Bill

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 09/02/2012 at 08:14 »
30 miles West of Aberdeen up in the hills.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com