Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Spider Hooks
« on: 18/11/2011 at 20:59 »
There's been a bit of chat recently about the theory of the straight eyed hook for NC spider fishing.
Just got some new Partridge 'Classic Spider' Hooks in 14 & 16's from Orvis in Banchory
Can't recall the price & there are 25 hooks per pack.

Nice wide gape and micro barb.

Looking forward to trying these early season

Sandy Nelson

Re: Spider Hooks
« Reply #1 on: 18/11/2011 at 21:30 »
i bought some too, looking forward to trying them myself :z16

The theory is good, if you read the old books, Pritt/Edmonds and lee Etc and look at the pictures then the flies have gut attached to the eye ends and were likely spade end hooks, so the flies were in a straight line with the leader.
If you tie on a Down eye or even an up eye hook then perhaps when the fly is attached to the leader then it is at an angle to the leader and may not swim the way it was originally intended.

I can see the logic that if you want the fly to tumble naturally through the water then a straight eye would present better as it is in a straight line with the leader and not being presented at an awkward angle, perhaps it is all in the mind but i like the theory :grin and am looking forward to trying it out.
The thing i liked about the hooks was the gape and micro barb which is easily squashed, they look like the perfect shape for spiders, Cool :cool:

Sandy

Sieger Devries

« Reply #2 on: 23/11/2011 at 12:44 »
Hi guys... Where did you order these hooks... Seems my searching abilities are limited...  :wink Anywhere online if possible..

Thanks upfront..

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 23/11/2011 at 13:51 »
Hi Sieger

I got mine from here

http://www.northcountryflies.com/hooks/Partridge-L3AS.html

I'm sure there will be other stockists, but these guys have a nice site and there is some nice stuff to look at.
Takes a few days for the stuff to arrive, but it does get there safe and sound.

Cheers

Sandy

Sieger Devries

« Reply #4 on: 23/11/2011 at 15:26 »
Thanks Sandy..!

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 23/11/2011 at 17:40 »
Wow ! I am more taken with those fantastic slim spiders Iain - are they a March Brown version ? If so, what shade of threads (olivey-brown dirty yellow rib?) and what hackle (snipe rump ?). Might just have to have a few of those as it looks like they could pass for several 'upwings' and respective nymphs :z16

I also bought some of these hooks from North Country Flies - Bob/Rob Smith who owns the company, and who is a NC spider expert, apparently helped design the hooks so they should be good !

Not used mine in 'anger' yet, but they look like a winner.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 23/11/2011 at 22:47 »
Hi Lindsay,

They were primarily fished as MB's but you are correct they can be taken (I assume) for a variety of stuff all season long. Fish quite well during reasonable hatches of Olive Upright & LDO's, I've found.

It's grouse for the soft hackle.

Sieger Devries

« Reply #7 on: 24/11/2011 at 07:04 »
Hi Lindsay,

They were primarily fished as MB's but you are correct they can be taken (I assume) for a variety of stuff all season long. Fish quite well during reasonable hatches of Olive Upright & LDO's, I've found.

It's grouse for the soft hackle.

Would be a good one for a SBS...???

Kev Danby

« Reply #8 on: 24/11/2011 at 09:01 »
If you are looking for hooks with a wider gape and straight eye it might be worth a search on some of the coarse fishing sites they usually have a wider variety of hooks in a good range of wire from heavy duty to fine wire and the size 20 - 10 so usable for fly tying. There is a good few designed for the comercial carp fisheires where the likes of pellet and other big baits are used.

It is amazing how much has changed on the coarse fishing front in the last 10 yrs since moving North. Now a fully fledged fluff chucker most of my coarse fishing stuff has been given away bar one rod and a mitchell match.

Loxiafan

« Reply #9 on: 24/11/2011 at 10:51 »
Hi Iain,

Thanks for the info - gonna tie up a few of those. Good excuse to use some 6A Gold  :wink

Might tie a few with claret/cardinal thread as well - these insects often have a purpley maroon hue to my eyes anyway. Perhaps scarlet with some cobblers would do the trick too.

I have said elsewhere on here that I really like grouse hackle even in prefernce over partridge. FWIW I reckon snipe rump would work too.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com