Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Irvine Ross

Re: All round salmon rods
« Reply #30 on: 16/11/2011 at 17:16 »

I guess you could go 3" Brass with a conehead but I've found that I've never needed to go heavier than 1 1/4" copper(slipstream) and this, as you're well aware, can be easily manipulated even with a very dense tip on a 550 Skagit with the 13' er.

Hmmm

I have a 13' rod but I don't have a Skagit head. Am I missing something? I can usually manage an 1 1/2" tube on the normal AFS head and rarely have the need to go bigger. :z8

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #31 on: 16/11/2011 at 17:24 »
I don't have a Skagit head. Am I missing something?

I guess you must be using Head and Shoulders then :z4
It sounds like some form of Skin disease to me :X1

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #32 on: 16/11/2011 at 21:19 »
Sandy,

Can't help with a 14'er but here's something to ponder............
I have a 13' 8/9 & 15' 10/11 LPXE, either (or both) of which you can have on long term loan. pm me if interested.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #33 on: 17/11/2011 at 10:35 »
Cool.

You have a PM :wink

Sandy

danbruce

« Reply #34 on: 24/01/2012 at 18:07 »
Good evening guys just flicking through an edition of trout and salmon and notice the angling centre are doing a salmon outfit deal:

Wychwood Truefly double-handed salmon rod, Choose from three sizes: 13 ft (8/9wt), 14 ft (9/10wt) or 15 ft (10/11wt).
Scierra Sweep SLV 10/11 reel
Ron Thompson Energizer backing
Grey's GRXi floating spey-Profile fly-line
Airflo braided loops
Ron Thompson Energizer knotless tapered leaders
20 salmon flies
Stillwater fly-box.

All for under £100

Was wondering would this and some casting lessons be an decent starter outfit for fishing for Salmon in the Don thinking of fishing any beat as far up as Alford?

Also some advice on Rod length and rating would be great.

Cheers, :z18

Dan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #35 on: 24/01/2012 at 23:46 »
14'er would be fine, I've no experience with that rod but will as someone who has tomorrow and post back.  The reel and rest as advertised will be fine, get a shooting head set up for it rather than learn on the Spey line, it will make things happen far faster for you.

Cheers

Ben

danbruce

« Reply #36 on: 25/01/2012 at 00:57 »
Cheers Ben,

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the rod.

Dan

outspan001

« Reply #37 on: 26/01/2012 at 07:26 »
Hi there Sandy,

This is my first proper post, so here it is!

I was in the exact situation as you a few years ago, wondering about getting a double hander for salmon fishing, as i had been using my 9wt 9ft Zane on the top of the deveron, and had a lot of success with it, with all the larger trout, Grilse and salmon being picked up on size 12 stoats tails at the back end of the season.

Then one of the guys that i know let me have a play with his 13ft salmon rod and i was a convert from there. I have found that it is much easier to cover the water with a double hander, and have  a guideline Le Cie 12ft 6in 8/9, this is a fantastic rod for lower water and will handle full sinking shooting heads with ease. I also got on sale a 14ft Loop opti from John Norris for half price and again this is a great rod.

I also think that after you have decided on a rod the line is very important to match to the rod, and i have given up with line ratings and just take note now of the head weight. I find that a lot of the guideline shooting heads are a great buy and work very well ( i much prefer shooting heads to a spey line ), as you can cut them to the length and wieght that you want, with shorter heavier heads for bigger tubes etc. Also they are easy to change if you don't think you are fishing the correct depth. When i got the shooting heads i would just go out try them and see if it loaded the rod correctly, if it was to heavy it would cut it back, there is a very useful powertaper calculator on the guideline site. Also Glasgow angling center are selling off the ready to go distance heads for £25 reduced from £54. The DTX shooting heads also are great, tried one of them and it left the rod like a rocket!

Also if you are looking for a good cheap rod, ebay is a great place to buy as there are 2 15ft Bruce and walker powerlites on there at the moment, looking like they will go cheap. I have also bought from the states before, and you can get some great deals from there, but need to add on the VAT also.

Also I have a guideline LPxe 11ft 8/9 that i got 2 years ago also, and i have to say that it is a very useful rod, and i just use my WF 9WT lines and it handles this with overhead and roll casts with ease, this was bought as birthday present and i was wondering how useful it would be but if you want a big single hand rod for high water, or to roll cast with they are very good. Never tried a switch line, but i think they could be  a bit of a gimmick so that you spend £70 on another line.

Good luck finding a set up you like, i find it is a lot of playing around to get it right to your casting style, but that is all part of the fun!

Cheers

Mark

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com