success with salmon,crawford little
casting for gold,john bailey
in wild waters,john bailey
the masters on the nymph,dave whitlock
the complete trout and salmon fisherman,jack thorndike
success with trout,martin cairncross john dawson and chris ogborne
go fishing,john wilson
a fly fishers life,charles ritz
i know of john bailey,john wilson and crawford little but dont know of the others,any worth a read?

Euan Innes

Re: fishing books,worth a read?
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2011 at 16:24 »
Dave Whitlock is a god. The book seems dated now but the advise is sound. Mr Whitlock and Oliver Edwards were pals and shared a lot of the techniques. Worth a read.

Anything by Charles Ritz is worth a read too. You may end up wanting a bamboo rod of course but that is never a bad thing!

Enjoy!

:z1

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2011 at 19:22 »
Dave Whitlock is a god. Worth a read.

Anything by Charles Ritz is worth a read too. You may end up wanting a bamboo rod of course but that is never a bad thing!

Would agree with both statements :z18

Masters on the nymph is a compilation of various top people and is a great read, there is a masters on the dryfly as well.
I think Dave Whitlock illustrated both books, lots of good info, i have both but they are in the shipping, so can't confirm.
but i do know they are both well worth reading :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 05/11/2011 at 21:54 »
Keep a look out for anything by Sylvester Nemes :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Quickcast 84

« Reply #4 on: 05/11/2011 at 22:09 »
yip,i would agree,without reading the books.the john wilson one is from 1989,and to be honest,after watching his programmes,every time he catches a fish,his laugh really pisses me off lol,even though its not in the book,thats enough for me.so i wont be reading that one,for that reason alone.

john bailey,he is very good at fishing and has a good insite to fishing,but he bores me and going by the fishing programmes i have seen him in,so sorry to john i wont be reading that book.

the masters of the nyphm,by dave whitlock.nymphs are the most versatile imitation in the fly-fishers box.here, in a single book,is a coordinated treasury of nymphing history and lore,sound entomological guidance,tying advice,and how-to instruction.well that gives me good reason to read on lol.

havent had time to get to the other books yet  :z18

Quickcast 84

« Reply #5 on: 05/11/2011 at 22:14 »
Keep a look out for anything by Sylvester Nemes :z16

Best wishes
Mike
there may be one here mike,there were 3 black bags left for me full of all kinds of fishing.i have just finished the first bag and already i am intriguied in the first bag

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 05/11/2011 at 23:04 »
Forgot to mention the dry fly book.
Both are treasures. I had them both but now I need to track them down and get them back.
"A" list contributors, well worth a read.

That took a while, new job offer, too much to drink!  :z16

DGAF

Quickcast 84

« Reply #7 on: 05/11/2011 at 23:32 »
hopefully i will have that 1 aswell,thus far,all books are in 1st class condition.looks like the pages have never been turned  :z16

Sieger Devries

« Reply #8 on: 05/11/2011 at 23:35 »
Next to the technical side of FF is still like the oldies like
'The River Why' and 'A River Runs Through It"....

Are there any more novels worth reading..?

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 06/11/2011 at 08:18 »
anyone read any of these?
a fly fishers life,charles ritz

I have a copy (somewhere) and it's an interesting and enjoyable read. Recommended, but obviously quite dated.
Of the others I have flicked through Crawford Littles book and keep meaning to buy a copy but (somehow) haven't got around to it yet.

Personally, I'm waiting for the fly tying book 'My way with tube flies' and the fishing books 'How to not fish like a Mong'  and 'Great fishing Pie Shops of Britain' by Bernard Dixon. However, I'm given to understand that a hitherto unpublished American author plans on doing the DVDs first :z7

:z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 06/11/2011 at 08:32 »
Great fishing Pie Shops of Britain by Bernard Dixon .........  :z4  :z4  :z4

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 06/11/2011 at 08:38 »
Great fishing Pie Shops of Britain by Bernard Dixon .........     

Is that the one that starts off as a thick hardback and ends up a thinner paperback?  :z7

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 06/11/2011 at 08:49 »
Is that the one that starts off as a thick hardback and ends up a thinner paperback?  :z7

No, that would be the unique 'flat pack' pie which Bernard will have to tell you about himself  :z4

:z3

Dutchfly

« Reply #13 on: 06/11/2011 at 11:46 »
A fly fishers life is great, the chapter on leaders excellent.

Not exactly new books, but I still like 'The Dettes-a Catskills legend' by Eric Leiser, 'A sportman's life' by Leigh Perkins (Orvis) and 'Three men in a boat' by Jerome K Jerome.

Jeroen

Will Shaw

« Reply #14 on: 08/11/2011 at 09:30 »
- In Wild Waters, John Bailey: Nice book and one of JB's best. Lots of coarse fishing in it. JB's style can be polarising, and sometimes I think he lays it on with a trowel, but this is a nice book.

- Casting for gold,John Bailey: OK, but not his best book IMO.

- The Masters on the nymph: A compilation of different authors. OK, but not particularly memorable. I preferred John Roberts' Trout on a Nymph. (Ditto for The Masters on The Dry Fly vs JR's To Rise a Trout).

W.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com