Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Which Pearsall's 6A ?
« on: 02/11/2011 at 16:06 »
Hi Everyone,

I had been pondering which shade of 6A is the historically correct one for NC patterns that specify "Orange" or 6A. At the moment there are 3 Orange shades available:

On the far left is 6A Pearsall's (that many modern tyers use as 6A for Partridge and Orange, Brown Owl etc).

Second left is Langley "Antique 6A" as sold by Phil Holding at Flytying Boutique.

Second Right is Langley "Antique 6B" again produced and sold by Phil. Not an Orange shade but used a lot.

Far Right is Pearsall's "19 Hot Orange".

I Posted a thread here:

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fly-tying-forum/202596-pearsalls-orange-6a-one-again.html

It makes interesting reading given the varied responses, and my suspicions that the "Antique 6A" is the correct shade (matching Edmonds and Lee and Pritt) are confirmed by Phil Holding at the end.

Hope this helps anyone else who may have pondered this, not that it probably matters to the fish, but what with traditions and all that ! The thread turning a mahogany colour when wet seems to be the important factor that I have picked up from my scant researches.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Sieger Devries

Re: Which Pearsall's 6A ?
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2011 at 16:38 »
Hi Lindsay,

I didn't go that far into the colors yet and mostly use the Pearsalls colors till now.... Got 2 books on the subject (now...  :z4 ) and they use the Pearsalls a lot...

So for the Partridge and Orange I use the first on the left Pearsalls 6a.... It's a little pale perhaps, but in the water it darkens..

(Don't really think the fish notice that much difference though, since all P&O in any orange color will be taken... :grin)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2011 at 16:44 »
Lindsay

My 6a looks different to the one you have posted, mine is a soft orange colour and goes a lovely shade when wet.

My question on your photo's? the one on the left is down as "old" is it not supposed to be"gold" ?
I think the Gold is 6 not 6a however it depends whose list you look at :z8.

Not sure where i picked up my pearsalls silk, i've had it for a good while but when the shipping arrives i can post a photo to show you the difference.

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 02/11/2011 at 17:04 »
To wander off topic what about hooks for spiders?

I've been contemplating this one for years. I like the wide gape and light weight of the Partridge SLD and TNC103BL
However my only thoughts have always been that the way you fish a spider and the way you would ideally want it presented so it tumbles nicely in the current it really needs a straight eye, as the down eye or up eye hooks will present the fly differently to what you anticipate. The original flies have straight or even gut eyes so perhaps it is something to think about :z8

Finally though it seems i'm not the only one considering this as partridge have now issued a Classic Spider hook, with alarge gape, short shank, fine wire and a straight eye :z14 Cool! Just a pity it still has a barb on it :z6

http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/products/classic-spider/74/

Have to get some and give it a go :z16

Sandy

Sieger Devries

« Reply #4 on: 02/11/2011 at 17:08 »
As far as I know 6a= 'Gold'..... 6 and 6b aren't made anymore and are hard to come by... Got another (newer) example card of recent colors...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 02/11/2011 at 17:17 »
Sieger

You are correct, my bad :oops, 6a is Gold and 6 is Amber, its a spool of 6 that i have and use for Partridge and Orange (as well as 19 :z4), etc. Amazing the difference a simple little "a" is  :z4

I use thread to match the hatch for whatever effect i want, you also have to consider the hook finish as when it is wet and the silk goes translucent the hook does affect the hue as does the type of fur (used right the silk negates the need for dyed furs :wink), all good fun.

Sandy

Sieger Devries

« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2011 at 17:33 »
Thanks for posting the hooks Sandy... didn't know this one... (got a shop where I can get them???)

Until now I use the Fulling Mill 31510 Short Shank Special and if the description tells to use a longer shank I'll take way ever I have....
In the North Country Flies book I can't find much on hooks, but I see the writer uses the down-eyed ones...

At one of the UK-stores I stumbled upon these...

They have a straight eye, but I think the gap is a little narrower than the Partridge one... In the darker days to come I will ty mine one these hooks.... :wink

Loxiafan

« Reply #7 on: 02/11/2011 at 18:13 »

So for the Partridge and Orange I use the first on the left Pearsalls 6a.... It's a little pale perhaps, but in the water it darkens..

That is what most peops use I think but it is not correct shade for P+O (re Edmonds and Lee) - for that "Antique 6a" is the correct colour apparently.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #8 on: 02/11/2011 at 18:17 »
To wander off topic what about hooks for spiders?

Finally though it seems i'm not the only one considering this as partridge have now issued a Classic Spider hook, with alarge gape, short shank, fine wire and a straight eye :z14 Cool! Just a pity it still has a barb on it :z6

http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/products/classic-spider/74/

I use Mustad R50's in 14 and 16. They are really strong, have a micro barb (which flattens easily). I got some of the Partridge Classic Spider hooks - they look good, slightly shorter in the shank than R50's but....they are finer wire which might be a prob for Don Trout ???

I also tried Dohiku 302's (?) and these are good but black !

Cheers,

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 02/11/2011 at 18:19 »
I like the Dohikus :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sieger Devries

« Reply #10 on: 02/11/2011 at 18:23 »
That is what most peops use I think but it is not correct shade for P+O (re Edmonds and Lee) - for that "Antique 6a" is the correct colour apparently.

Cheers,

Lindsay

:grin T.E. Pritt is just talking about.... "Orange Silk" in his book on North Country Flies from 1886.. :grin

I came to this colors because it's in the description from Mike Harding's book ... but I honestly don't know what would be the "right" shade... The one that catches fish...  :z4 ???

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 02/11/2011 at 18:27 »
"The one that catches fish" :z16

Cheers
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #12 on: 02/11/2011 at 18:36 »
:grin T.E. Pritt is just talking about.... "Orange Silk" in his book on North Country Flies from 1886.. :grin

I came to this colors because it's in the description from Mike Harding's book ... but I honestly don't know what would be the "right" shade... The one that catches fish...  :z4 ???

True, but if you look at the illustrations in Pritt's book the flies are tied with quite an obvious Orange silk closer to Antique 6A or Hot Orange than 6A Gold !

It is all confusing !

LC

Sieger Devries

« Reply #13 on: 02/11/2011 at 18:57 »
True, but if you look at the illustrations in Pritt's book the flies are tied with quite an obvious Orange silk closer to 6A or Hot Orange than 6A Gold !

It is all confusing !

LC

Only got the pdf-version so I really couldn't tell and I take your word on it...

And confusing it is... with my Waterhen Bloa it's almost the same... One book talks about Pearsalls no. 3 (primrose) and the other one about Yellow no. 4...

So I'm with Sandy in this... coming from the "poor mans file" I'll take what's available and follow the book that on the table.. if possible...

If I wouldn't, how could I ty a fly with Chadwick's 477 in the description.... or Pearsalls 6b ... (got some bobbins...  :cool:)...

Just wonder who did describe the 'original' description anyway and based on what... ??? ... Think color identification then was even harder as it's now.....

As an example I took your photo of your Waterhen... I think your camera is slightly off with the whitebalance (artificial light gives a warmer color-tone)... I took the liberty and took it through Aperture and got an other color impression...

Think this isn't that different from the problems with color in the earlier days... A bit more or less water in your paint and your on or off the right shade...  :roll

Yours:

My version:

A long nights ahead to think it over... :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 02/11/2011 at 19:31 »
6a, gold, is the "correct" colour. My spools are the same colour as that depicted in the colour chart above.  #4 is the colour originally used for WHB's, this has been difficult to obtain for a while but I have a few spools tucked away  :grin  #5 seems to work absolutely fine for the same pattern although when fishing such flies that have stood the test of time for so long I like to use the original recipe.

Antique gold, #31 un-waxed with a hare thorax & speckled hen partridge hackle is also a lethal pattern.  Something I knocked up myself but I'm sure someone else probably got there many years before me.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com