Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Dry Fly Memories - Extracts From A Don Diary
« Reply #15 on: 24/11/2011 at 00:30 »
That's better, I'm back in to it again ...... I don't know why, but I find all books hard going nowadays :oops

Guess I'm getting old :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #16 on: 24/11/2011 at 07:53 »
That's better, I'm back in to it again .....

just started reading it now. it's the fascination of reading descriptions of the beats that I currently fish that draws me in, fun to try and picture the places John describes.

cheers
iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #17 on: 25/11/2011 at 13:41 »
just started reading it now. it's the fascination of reading descriptions of the beats that I currently fish that draws me in, fun to try and picture the places John describes.

I agree Iain, for those of us who fish these beats it possibly evokes a more personal experience.

Loved the entry for 1979 where someone broke in to his shed and stole the flies from his hat.....but left the hat ! I can just picture someone going to all the trouble of extracting the flies, and tossing the bunnet !  :z4

Reminds me of when someone broke in to my shed and stole two PA speakers (for my band) and an axe - left everything else ! It really seemed to worry the coppers when I had to give a report for the insurance. The baskets even locked the shed behind them as well.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #18 on: 27/11/2011 at 16:03 »
Just spent a fantastic few hours round at John's talking about the Don and fly fsihing, what a great guy ! He wanted to inscribe my book as apparently it was the first one sold - so I now have a nice personal inscription and the book signed by John  :grin.

To reiterate what Richard said earlier the book is a limited run and I gather it won't be being reprinted, so best get in now - when I was round this afternoon the phone was going with orders !

I have also now got one of his deadly claret and badger size 18 hackled dries, so I can tie a few up like them myself  :z14

Cheers,

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 22/12/2011 at 11:05 »
Do any of you write a fishing diary? I've tried to start one a few times over the years, but I always give up after a while :oops

Cheers
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #20 on: 31/12/2011 at 18:31 »
I was speaking with John Walker today whilst dropping round a copy of R.M Neill's Brown Trout Survey. John's book is continuing to sell well and has been well received across Brtitain. This book is a limited run and, as I understand, will not be reprinted. Knowing how many copies there are left I'd advise anyone who is interested in this book but not yet ordered it to reserve their copy pretty darn quickly !

Full ordering details here http://www.adaa.org.uk/pdfs/book.pdf

Cheers,

Lindsay

Richard Tong

Dry Fly Memories - Extracts From A Don Diary
« Reply #21 on: 04/01/2012 at 14:03 »
Mike

Yes I keep a fishing diary. Usually record date(!), venue, times fished, river height, wind strength and direction, flies hatching and at what time, size of fish caught (if over 2lbs or 17"), widlife seen etc. It is not exhaustive and if I have a poor day I sometimes can't be bothered, though these are often the days you learn most. PP keeps a far more detailed diary and writes it up without fail every day he goes.

I find it very useful. We have taken detailed notes on wind direction when on Don and frequently will choose a beat depending on which way the wind is blowing. Certain beats are sheltered from different directions. A bit anal perhaps but we try and stack as many things in our favour as possible and then leave the rest to Mother Nature.

Lets hope Don fishes better this Spring than last year which was the worst we have encountered, due to lack of rain. Roll on the new season!

Richard

Hamish Young

« Reply #22 on: 07/01/2012 at 17:41 »
This book is a limited run and, as I understand, will not be reprinted. Knowing how many copies there are left I'd advise anyone who is interested in this book but not yet ordered it to reserve their copy pretty darn quickly !

Waterstones (certainly the one in Inverness) have several copies, albeit one less as I picked one up for part of my birthday present to my old man for his 70th birthday today.

H :z3

Loxiafan

« Reply #23 on: 07/01/2012 at 23:45 »
Hope your Dad enjoys the book Hamish. There are copies available at some booksellers but there is a limited amount available to order from John directly. With the ADAA AGM coming up at the end of the month he may well get cleaned out, but still time to order from him.

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #24 on: 08/01/2012 at 21:13 »
Purchased the book today, it is brilliant  :z16
Does anyone know the recipes for his simple flies?

Thanks

Loxiafan

« Reply #25 on: 08/01/2012 at 23:24 »
Purchased the book today, it is brilliant  :z16
Does anyone know the recipes for his simple flies?

Hi Liam,

John I think mainly uses two hackled dry flies - a claret/red silk body with Badger hackle and a yellow silk body with a Greenwell type hackle. He gave me one of his claret ones and he seems to use quite long hackles for the hook size - you can also see this from the picture of flies in the book. Doesn't seem to negatively impact on catch rate - maybe the hackles 'spread out' appear like spent insect on the water ? ! Size 16 and 18 seem to be the preference and the hooks look like silver Alec Jackson NC Spider hooks ( or Kamasan B525 which I understand are the same hook !)

Hope this helps,

Lindsay

Graham Nicol

« Reply #26 on: 09/01/2012 at 08:16 »
I likewise have purchased and read the book and enjoyed it immensely. What amazes me is John's tenacity to persist with the dry fly when conditions are generally not favourable. In addition he often refers to the decline of fly life which makes waiting for a rise often quite a challenge. I fished the Parkhill waters and various other beats in the late 70s and early 80s and can remember times when one fished in the evening in a sedge storm! I was fortunate in that my house overlooked the river and I could wait and see fish coming on the feed and there were long periods in May/June when this was almost guaranteed on a daily basis. Sadly this is no longer the case. We must remember though that the fly life decline is occurring on many rivers and not just the Don. It remains a premier river ; it's just it was fabulous back then for the dry fly pursit. He has to work harder now!

TimTheFlier

« Reply #27 on: 18/01/2012 at 12:22 »
Inspired by this forum, I too have purchased a copy of John's book.

It has proved a valuable insight to fishing the Don and well worth the read - I recommend getting a copy.

I look forward to attempting some of John's advice and tactics in 2012.

Tim

Loxiafan

« Reply #28 on: 18/01/2012 at 13:36 »
Great stuff guys, glad you liked the book and found it useful ! Although John is not 'active' on this Forum, he nevertheless does "lurk" and I am sure he will be made up by all the positive feedback for his book.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com