Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Dry Fly Memories - Extracts From A Don Diary
« on: 01/11/2011 at 00:44 »
I read with interest in the fishing reports section of the Evening Express on Thursday that local River Don dry fly fisher, John Walker, has written a new book about his experiences on the river over the last 50 years.

Iain "machar" also dropped me an email about this today, thanks Iain! John is an ADAA member and there is some information about the book on a PDF file ( heavy file ) on their website.
See : http://www.adaa.org.uk/pdfs/book.pdf

A 180 page hardback, the book includes 12 pages of colour plates and some black and white River Don Maps and line drawings. The book retails at £15 plus P&P and is available at Somers and Bains tackle shops and from John directly.

This sounds like a great book, I have ordered a copy and I hope it is a big success for John! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

Re: Dry Fly Memories - Extracts From A Don Diary
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/2011 at 18:58 »
Been looking forward to this book for a while now.
looks like something for the weekend sir.   :z16
Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2011 at 01:29 »
I got my copy on Monday night, one of the first batch, as John literally lives just down the road from me and his wife kindly looked out a copy for me. I would recommend it to anyone who fishes the Don as it gives a historical perspective in the context of a very personal journey, which if we we are honest, we are all on ourselves.

It is well written, easy to read, nice colour piccies and very well produced. In comparison to a recent publication on another well known Scottish river that cost £25 and which contained numerous technical errors not to mention multiple grammatical errors in nearly EVERY single paragraph (making it frustrating to read), Johns book at £15 puts it to absolute shame in quality and presentation !

Don't expect lots of technical info and numerous fly patterns but expect to be inspired by an angler who chooses to fish a particular way, with particular tackle and with an absolute respect for his quarry. It's what wild river trout fishing should be all about.  :z16

Respect !  :z14

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 02/11/2011 at 01:36 »
Great stuff Lindsay ...... I'm really looking forward to reading my copy when it arrives! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 02/11/2011 at 09:44 »

See : http://www.adaa.org.uk/pdfs/book.pdf

the flyer for the book will load much fast now; i've supplied adaa with a much reduced sized PDF
cheers
iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 02/11/2011 at 16:37 »
Great stuff Iain :z16

ibm59

« Reply #6 on: 04/11/2011 at 08:48 »
In comparison to a recent publication on another well known Scottish river that cost £25 and which contained numerous technical errors not to mention multiple grammatical errors in nearly EVERY single paragraph (making it frustrating to read),

I bought this on spec , and must say I was severely disappointed.
As you say , littered with inaccuracies and well out of date in some respects.
Sad really , and an opportunity missed.
Perhaps a second edition might resolve those issues.

I've been in touch with John , and have ordered a copy of his book.
Looking forward to receiving it.

Richard Tong

Dry Fly Memories - Extracts From A Don Diary
« Reply #7 on: 04/11/2011 at 10:07 »
Just had a long chat with John and it was fascinating to hear him talk about the Don and the hatches that ocurred in the 60's and 70's. Left me green with envy. My cheque is in the post-can't wait to receive his book! It's a limited edition so don't hang around

Richard

Loxiafan

« Reply #8 on: 04/11/2011 at 13:51 »
It's a cracking little book with nice anecdotes that put river trout fishing in to perspective - highly recommended ! Mine came with a nice little photograph personally inscribed "The Last March Brown of 2011". John wasn't in when I picked up the book so I will have to get him to do an inscription some time !

I also wanted to have a chat to him about R.M Neill's scientific study on Brown Trout on The Don (at Upper Parkhill) in 1938. I tracked down a copy of this paper and it made very interesting reading; what insects were in the river and also stomach contents of over 1000 trout that were caught - they caught the fish on the fly too ! Basically according to the results of the study, a small black midge (diptera/reed smut ?) constituted the vast majority of the diet and in July 30% of trout diet was Caddis. The study only ran April to July.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #9 on: 04/11/2011 at 14:05 »
I bought this on spec , and must say I was severely disappointed.
As you say , littered with inaccuracies and well out of date in some respects.
Sad really , and an opportunity missed.
Perhaps a second edition might resolve those issues.

Yes, regarding 'that' book on the "other scottish river" I totally agree, an opportunity missed - that's a good way of putting it ! I was so frustrated reading it that I'd even offer to proof read a second edition for nothing !  :shock

The book also said all caught fish were released in to their environment in the process of making the book but clearly many were "chapped". Maybe they were returned "chapped" - weegies and all that ye ken ? :wink Maybe it only applied to fish caught while the book was being written  ???

To be clear to forum readers were are NOT talking about John's FANTASTIC book !

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 05/11/2011 at 21:57 »
Arrived today ...... currently relaxing in my favourite chair and on page 25 :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Quickcast 84

« Reply #11 on: 05/11/2011 at 22:50 »
Arrived today ...... currently relaxing in my favourite chair and on page 25 :z16

Best wishes
Mike

worth a read mike? getting into my reading and tying now that the poor weather is here  :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #12 on: 21/11/2011 at 15:25 »
... River Don dry fly fisher, John Walker, has written a book about his experiences on the river over the last 50 years.

A 180 page hardback, the book includes 12 pages of colour plates and some black and white River Don Maps and line drawings. The book retails at £15

If you haven't got this book yet, don't panic, you can buy it and have it signed in person by John, who will be signing copies at Waterstones in the Trinity Centre.

Thursday 1st December
 6-8pm

Waterstones, Trinity Centre
3-7 Union Bridge, Aberdeen AB11 6BG

cheers
iain

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #13 on: 21/11/2011 at 17:18 »
I picked up my copy from John's house this week and he kindly signed it for me too.  A very nice guy and very enthusiastic about his fishing.  Turns out he loves his chalkstream fishing too and I could have stayed and talked to him for hours!  I'm taking the book on holiday with me tomorrow to help pass the time on the plane. :grin 

Ewan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 22/11/2011 at 23:13 »
I've kind of lost my way in the book :oops ...... must try and pick it up and get going again :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com