Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Haddo Trout Fishery ( to October 31st )
« on: 31/10/2011 at 23:58 »

Hi folks :cool:

Waterhen Bloa, Grouse & Claret, Sedges, CDCs, Sedgehogs, Spiders, Crunchers, Kate McLaren, Bloodworm, Damsels and a wee Cats Whisker were all productive fly choices at Haddo this week. A second week of swirls, pulls and splashes at our flies which were not easy to convert in to fish in the net.

Alex Burnett enjoyed a great session tempting 30 trout up to 7 lb and also had a dozen up to 3 lb on a second visit, Sandy Nelson released 24 up to 3 lb, Graham Chiverton had 9 up to 6 lb, Barry Roberts 9 up to 3 lb and Jonathon Petrie netted 8 fish up to 6lb.

As usual, the last week of October saw fewer anglers on the water than normal, as many were on the rivers in the hope of a Silver Tourist.

Best wishes
Mike

adambrain

Re: Haddo Trout Fishery ( to October 31st )
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2011 at 15:39 »
Mike, 

are these " swirls " fish feeding just sub-surface or are they just doing it to annoy people ?
I had this at another fishery a week or so ago and everything I threw at them ( klinks, various CDC, F- flies, daddies, the lot ) they just drowned  ?

Thanks Adam.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/2011 at 16:55 »
Hi Adam

Yes, the fish are nymphing just under the surface, but they are not swirling when feeding though. The Swirls, pulls, nips and splashes at anglers flies are just the classic last minute refusals of us having got something wrong :wink

The best takes are coming to spiders and nymphs in 14 and 16 when they are retrieved quite quickly in the top six to ten inches of water ...... pretty standard Haddo stuff really.

Cheers
Mike

adambrain

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2011 at 17:03 »
Nymphing sounds good to me thats how I fish 90 % of the time.

Cheers Adam.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com