Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

machar

The RDBTIA have requested its 2012 Conservation code be posted for the information of Forum Members. It can be read here

http://www.riverdon.org.uk/brown_trout_improv_assn/rdbtia_conservation_code_2012.asp

Hamish Young

Re: The River Don Brown Trout Improvement Assocation
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2011 at 10:20 »
Very interesting reading indeed :cool:

But I find myself wondering what qualifies as a 'mitigation procedure' when stocking with fish :?
If it means what I think it means then it covers a whole host of issues no-one really wants to discuss.

Nevertheless, I sincerely hope the 2012 recommendations of the RDBTIA get the same amount of backing from all Don proprietors (and fishers) as the DDSFB voluntary Salmon code has.
For what it's worth, I would encourage all anglers to let Jamie know what they've caught, where and when.
A photo tells a thousand words and, if it's continued in 2012, scale sampling is invaluable.

:z3

Mike Barrio

Re: The River Don Brown Trout Improvement Assocation
« Reply #2 on: 27/10/2011 at 17:50 »
RDBTIA Conservation Code 2012

River Don Brown Trout Conservation Policy 2012

The River Don is renowned for its brown trout populations with arguably some of the best wild trout fishing in Scotland and the UK as a whole. The brown trout populations are being studied by the River Don Trust and from early work it appears that many of the tributaries of the Don are well populated with juveniles. Much less is known about the current status of older/mature trout in the main stem which are the target of anglers. Scale reading from rod caught fish has revealed the age structure of the fish, with first spawning generally in the 3rd or 4th year of life (1.5-2.5lb). It is of course hoped that the excellent trout fishing will long continue, however with increased population growth on Donside together with changes in main stem river habitat, we must do all that we can to preserve and nurture our precious stock of wild brown trout. Ideally, a total catch and release policy is the answer, already employed in many rivers around the world. If however you do decide to kill fish, please observe the following recommendations:

Recommendations
 - Fly fishing only / barbless hooks preferred
 - Season: 1st April to 1st October. (March 15th for catch & release)
 - Bag limit of 2 trout per angler per day (not transferrable)
 - Bag limit of 8 trout per angler per season
 - Return all fish under 12”
 - Return all fish of 18” and over (2lbs +) (mature fish which directly contribute to the spawning stock)
 - Use only knotless landing nets
 - Return all fish to the river carefully with wetted hands, held facing upstream until recovered.
 - No stocking of the river will take place unless as part of a mitigation procedure or in the event of a catastrophic event and if so with river Don brown trout.

In order to increase our knowledge on the River Don Brown Trout, please report all catches along with any useful related information to biologist@riverdon.org.uk

Scale samples from brown trout forwarded to the River Don Trust biologist@riverdon.org.uk  will assist in the scientific research into our precious wild trout resource. Volunteers please contact Jamie Urquhart at the Trust, on 01330 830080.

Any waders/tackle which have been used outwith the UK are subject to anti-GS precautions.

Prepared by: River Don Brown Trout Improvement Association. (RDBTIA)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com