Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Salmon Doubles
« Reply #15 on: 12/10/2011 at 14:32 »
Euan,

Skating on the surface? are you on drugs man!? This will be presented on a short leader and sinking tip.

I'm scared to post anything else in case I break down with all the criticism

Mike - yellow card 'em!

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #16 on: 12/10/2011 at 15:43 »
Fair point.
Never liked sinking tips, always thought they went in with too much of a splash.
Whatever sinks your fly dude!  :z7

I just liked them slim and "fine and far off" and about 2 - 3" down. Let me know how you get on.

:z1

PS no drugs but I am thinking in investing in a vineyard....

Irvine Ross

« Reply #17 on: 12/10/2011 at 16:21 »
Ben,

The wing is from a hank of extra long arctic fox which may be fine for longer wing patterns but I have found it to be too sparse (and bristly Ben)if cut short for such a fly.

Iain

Iain

Are you sure that's arctic fox? Looks more like goat hair to me :z8

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 12/10/2011 at 18:48 »
That looks very nice to me Iain ...... I would certainly fish it with confidence :z16

But I must confess that I like singles :oops

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #19 on: 12/10/2011 at 20:00 »
Thanks Mike  :z16

Irvine,
It's defo extra long Arctic Fox

Guinea Fowl collar hackles - awfy spidery

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 12/10/2011 at 20:04 »
Oh, and obviously I'm going to revert back to the standard length fox or templehund in future. I bought the extra long stuff from Cookshill at the game fair thinking it might come in handy with some longer tubes.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #21 on: 12/10/2011 at 20:24 »
Liking the guinea fowl  :z16
Spidery is good!

Irvine Ross

« Reply #22 on: 12/10/2011 at 20:26 »
Iain

OK. You're right and I'm wrong again. :z14

I like the look of the Guinea fowl hackles :z16

Irvine

jpm75

« Reply #23 on: 12/10/2011 at 22:18 »
I like the guinea fowl. Haven't seen anything like that before. Nice Iain, very nice.
John

Hamish Young

« Reply #24 on: 13/10/2011 at 10:52 »
Like Ian, I've used guinea fowl as a full (rather than false) hackle at the front of salmon flies in the past.
Nice looking flies those fella :cool:
I liked guinea fowl (on my shrimp flies and things like munros killer etc) and so did the fish but back then (errr..... late '80s and early '90s) finding really nice consistent (as in quality of dye/colour etc) quality guinea at my local shop and via mail order became a bit of an issue so I largely switched back to conventional hackles.

However, I can see the guinea fowl having something of a renaissance on my salmon flies next year as I've found a bag of mixed stuff in amongst my tying gear that's top quality - no idea where it came from, one of things I've picked up along the way and then forgotten about :oops

Certainly when using sinking tips (polyleaders and such) I like a slightly heavier hackled fly, makes me fish with more confidence. Perhaps it's the 'loch style' built into me or maybe I just like disturbance patterns...... whatever.

I really must sort out a desk for my fly tying gear as 'she who must be obeyed' is getting a tad irritated by the spread of some of my tying gear on the kitchen table and is making noises about chucking stuff in the bin :roll I've hardly tied a fly since moving to the new gaff a year ago, must make amends over the winter.
I might even re-stock and rearrange my boxes :shock

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #25 on: 13/10/2011 at 13:31 »
"I've found a bag of mixed stuff in amongst my tying gear that's top quality - no idea where it came from, one of things I've picked up along the way and then forgotten about :oops "

I think the donor was me, waay back in the mists of time, when I left Glendye and moved to Alford. I think they came from "Ber-nards" shop originally.

Hamish Young

« Reply #26 on: 13/10/2011 at 18:50 »
I think the donor was me, waay back in the mists of time, when I left Glendye and moved to Alford.

Now that's a distinct possibility :z17

H

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 14/10/2011 at 08:42 »

jpm75

« Reply #28 on: 26/10/2011 at 21:11 »
The pics aren't great, but here it goes anyway. Just a few shrimp patterns tied on size 11 salar dubs.

The Ballina Grey shrimp

A Blue pearl Shrimp that a mate asked me to tie for him.

hope you like, even though the pics dont really do the flies any justice.
John

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 26/10/2011 at 21:14 »
Nice flies John :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com