Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andy Finlay

Fishing near Aberfeldy info needed
« on: 05/10/2011 at 12:35 »
I'm off for a week with the outlaws staying near Aberfeldy and was wondering about near by fishing. Now, I realise I've missed the trout season which is a shame as there appears to be lots of Lochs in the area but I believe theres Grayling in the area and was wondering about contacts for that. Failing that I could always try for Salmon but as I'm new to the Salmon game was again wondering about best contacts. Only requirement is that the fishing is very near Aberfeldy and also not overly expensive. Have had a look at the Aberfeldy angling site but again, not 100% surte on teh best contacts.

Ben Dixon

Re: Fishing near Aberfeldy info needed
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2011 at 15:36 »
Hi Andy,

The Tay around Aberfeldy can be pretty good for grayling and the Aberfeldy town stretch is not bad.  Tickets are available from Wades newsagent in Aberfeldy 01887 820397.  I wouldn't bother if the Kenmore gauge on Fish Tay is showing much more than about 12".

There is quite a bit of pike fishing in the area, several lochs in the area can be very productive, if this is your bag drop me a PM and I'll send you details.

Cheers

Ben

Andy Finlay

« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2011 at 17:06 »
Cheers Ben,

I had a look on the fish tay site, one of the beats, Findynate looks nice, don't suppose you know it, as I fancy a days Salmon fishing and it's quite near Aberfeldy. Failing that I'll pop into the shop you mentioned and see about a ticket for Grayling, never fished for them before but I'm sure it would be fun.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2011 at 21:33 »
Hi Andy,

Never fished Findynate but have fished Farleyer Upper, stunning water and a good mix of it.  Great salmon water and during the season it is not bad for trout either.  Have a look at www.fishingnet.com there is a lot of info on the Tay system there.

I've not fished the Tay for salmon enough at the back end to know  how you are likely to fair on any of the upper beats other than Farleyer where I'd say chances would be reasonable.  The lower beats should produce but that would be big bucks.  I was speaking to one of the Lower Tay ghillies today, he said there are a lot of fish about and still good numbers of fresh fish running but these are only looking at big stuff harled out the back of the boat.  Would be worth looking at the lower Lyon for salmon too.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com