Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

im stuck !
« on: 03/10/2011 at 14:56 »
Guys,

i'm having trouble deciding weather I want the Orvis Hydros LA or the Guideline haze reel. So I think I have to have a look at them both in person. I'm pretty sure I can have a wee look at the hydros in Banchory but dose anyone know any shops selling the guideline haze ? And or any input from owners would be nice.

Cheers adam

Matt Henderson

Re: im stuck !
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2011 at 15:57 »
Ask iain (Goolager) he's our resident tackle tart and probably has three of each!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2011 at 15:59 »
Iam sure That Angus angling in forfar is probably the nearest supplier that would have them in stock for you to have a look at  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 03/10/2011 at 19:09 »
Personaly I'd go for the Orvis Hydros.

The Haze is a smart looking reel & liking the Guideline stuff anyway it was a must have. The reel gave me nowt but issues after that - the sealed drag assembly backed apart, there was a noticible bit of play on the spool and the handle loosened and never quite tightened back to the balanced setting. Gentle enquiring E-mails to Guideline didn't produce the answers I was seeking so I haven't bought any more of their kit since.

I see that the Haze II is out & I wonder if it was to sort out the flaws in their first effort.

I then went and tried a Sage 4230 which is a great reel but the clicker can't be silenced.

Perusing the Orvis stable I tried the Hydros LA II and haven't looked back since, solid, reliable, 'silenceable' and smart looking.

Perhaps the Haze II is a great reel but I'd go for the Hydros.

Happy hunting

Iain

adambrain

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2011 at 19:42 »
Thanks guys,

its a real dilema i was guessing the hydros would be more reliable but you have to admit the haze it much better looking.
Well thanks again lads I will have to just bite the bullet and buy one.

Cheers.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 03/10/2011 at 19:58 »
Hi Adam,

if your heart is set on the Haze then Baz is correct, drop in by Neil at Forfar (phone first to check stock levels) and have a play with it.

Iain

adambrain

« Reply #6 on: 05/10/2011 at 17:14 »
Well im thinking since the rod im matching it with is orvis I should get the hydros, problem solved

cheers again guys

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2011 at 19:10 »
You won't be dissapointed  :z16

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com