Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Think the Mrs will kill me
« on: 02/10/2011 at 23:41 »
I think I am going to get evicted by the wife.

I have been really busy recently and have not been fishing for about 3 weeks and the last time I was out i rolled the waders and boots up and put them in the box along with my jacket.  Was tying flies tonight and went looking for a fly box from my jacket and when I unrolled the mess it smelt very very bad.

I have the offending garments hanging in the garage but it smells like a sumo wrestlers jockstrap.

Any tips on how to get rid of the stink?  Have already used a half can of febreeze and airfreshner!

??? ???

Mike Barrio

Re: Think the Mrs will kill me
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2011 at 00:22 »
Sorry John ...... no idea! :z6

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2011 at 07:46 »
have you turned them inside out and given them a wee wash?

Quickcast 84

« Reply #3 on: 03/10/2011 at 07:55 »
half fill your bath with hot water,chuck in a wee bottle of zoflora,springtime is the 1 for me,but theyr are many other scents that work a treat.give the bath a quick stir and chuck in your gear.remember to get permission from the mrs first  :z4

Quickcast 84

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2011 at 07:56 »
ooops,forgot to say soak for 1 hour  :z16

John Reid

« Reply #5 on: 03/10/2011 at 08:58 »
Was not sure about going near the breathables and the fancy Orvis jacket with detergent.  The boots were not an issue. I fired them in a bucket of Virkon for half an hour and they are now fine.  If I do wash the breathables do I have to treat them with the same stuff you do Goretex jackets with?

I moved them to the drying green last night as the musky smell in the garage was not cricket!  They have been outside all night (in the rain) and are no better!

Thanks for the comments so far fellas.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 03/10/2011 at 09:36 »
John,

Nikwax techwash will do the job, on a very cool delicates wash in the machine.  This stuff will re-proof the fabric too making the water bead and run off as it did when they were new.

DO no put Virkon anywhere near them!!

Cheers

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #7 on: 03/10/2011 at 16:07 »
Thanks Ben. I will go and order it now.

John

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 04/10/2011 at 21:32 »
Pssssst..The TechWash is just that...a non detergent "washt" for cleaning and washing. It does not reproof. You can use it upto 40 degrees but they recommend 30 for most "lamenent" waterproofs.

For reproofing you then need to use Nikwax TX Direct, this is the product to get that water beading.

Both can be bought from Out There in Banchory or HillTrek in Aboyne.

Lots of info on the Nikwax and Paramo websides on reproofing etc.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 04/10/2011 at 23:33 »
Thanks Rob, I must have imagined the beading off of water after using Tech Wash then  :z4  You are however quite correct that it is not the one sold for the job but, it does have an impact.

Cheers

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #10 on: 09/10/2011 at 21:05 »
I bought both and they are waiting at the post office for me so will get them done tomorrow night before embarking on the grayling this week.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com