Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Day on the Dee
« on: 27/09/2011 at 08:58 »
A quick report from Saturday haven’t posted much lately as Saturday was the first days fishing ive had since about July  :z19

Decided to treat myself to a day on one of my favorite beats of the Dee Aboyne.  As luck would have it i had the beat to myself so could pick and choose where to fish.  Within the first hour managed to catch a silver/gray fish around 13lb (left camera in car)  so was thinking it was going to be a great day unfortunately the sun came out and the rest of the day was a struggle until first cast in the Red Rock pool and the line went solid.  For the next few minutes i was convinced i had a fish that had wrapped me around a rock as felt the thumping but line wasn’t budging.   Turned out it was a big tartan cock fish around 19-20lb 37-38inches took a blue tinsel bodied willie gun fished off an AFS hover shooting head and 10ft medium sink polyleader.

A few photos of the beat and fish

The irrigation pool

The stones pool

The fish

The fish doesnt look as big in the photos for scale the rod is a 15ft LPXE and the reel is an opti megaloop which is a big big reel.

Hopefully i will get out a couple more times on the Don before the season ends  :z16

Michael

Ewan Lindsay

Re: Day on the Dee
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2011 at 11:12 »
Excellent fish Michael - congratualtions!  :z16

Ewan

Iain Goolager

Re: Day on the Dee
« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2011 at 20:45 »
Aye aye Mike,

Firstly...................nice bling!

Glad you had a good day and well done with the fishes  :z16

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com