Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Sorted...I hope !
« Reply #15 on: 29/09/2011 at 22:55 »
Okay, more bu**ering about with the Orvis 6x and I reckon I have it sorted.....fingers crosssed !  :z8

Paul Procter "Knot" is holding well on Klink 20's, 18's and giving it real welly. The other knot (thanks to Pauls mate Richard on this Forum) that is working, and that is my new favourite knot, is the Davy Knot:

http://www.pechetruite.com/Noeuds/Davy-knot.htm

Seems to be possibly several variants of the Davy Knot (?) but the one in the link is the one I have used and is working well. Note that the Procter Knot and the Davy Knot are different - some confusion on other forums that they are synonomous; they are not.

Hope this helps anyone else who has had knots slipping/breakages with this or other tippet material. I have certainly learned a lot and have turned a negative in to a positive. Moral of the story: try other knots with new tippet brands. There is life beyond half blood knots (though I do prefer these).

Will hopefully get out the morn for a couple of hours wi the Orvis tippet before season ends - hope there are some fish rising !

Cheers,

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

Re: Orvis Superstrong Tippet
« Reply #16 on: 29/09/2011 at 23:03 »
Pleased you got something that works for you!

Offer to change it still stands if you get any further issues with it.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 30/09/2011 at 00:13 »
Tippet is very strange stuff ....... I've stocked lots of different brands and types at the fishery over the years and have never found one that everybody liked :roll

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #18 on: 30/09/2011 at 10:11 »
Liking the look of the Davy Knot. Might have to give that a try  :z16

:z1

MuddlerDaddy

« Reply #19 on: 30/09/2011 at 19:48 »
Spent a day with Davy Wotton a while back on the White River in Arkansas. I wanted to learn traditional wet fly fishing and Davy is considered the best around over here  :z14 . Davy showed me how to construct a leader using the Davy knot with 3 droppers. I know use the knot to construct all my leaders and have never had a problem !!
BTW Davy is a super guy and invited the wife and I over to his home that evening and supplied me with a few basic capes for wet fly tying.  :z16 :z16
Was scheduled to go out with Davy this summer but due to very high water I had to cancel. Very Disappointed, but will go again maybe next year..  :z8

:z18

MD

Loxiafan

« Reply #20 on: 07/10/2011 at 14:41 »
Hi Guys,

Having 'researched' this issue further on the Intraweb and clocked how many people have had similar problems not just with Orvis SS, but Stroft (that I use a lot with no probs) as well as Frogs Hair Tippet, I have come to the conclusion that inconsistency or even flaws, albeit subtle, in individual knot tying may be to blame rather than faulty material. How these knots are tightened, wetted and drawn up seems to be critical and will maybe explain why Ben's untucked half bloods hold on SS whereas mine slip - the material is maybe not as 'forgiving' for me as other tippet materials that my half bloods hold on ( and my knots are not as consistent as Ben's !).

I should have said that I did test my knots before I fished (and had breaks) but I now know to REALLY test them and the knots, especially on new tippet material, at home in tests where I am trying to break the knot or line. This should identify what knots hold and what don't. Another knot that has held well on Orvis SS is the Grinner Knot. I guess my half-bloods may well be slightly inconsistent and that is something I maybe need to look at.

Hope you guys don't me sharing my thoughts out loud on this 'journey' I am on.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Peter McCallum

« Reply #21 on: 07/10/2011 at 16:33 »
maybe you could ask santa for this

http://www.fishingtieknots.com/

:z4 :z4 :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com