Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

I suppose someone has to post it
« on: 24/09/2011 at 09:10 »
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/271601-poacher-pensioner-jailed-for-refusing-to-obey-43-year-ban-from-river-don/

Thought this might have already attracted some discussion on the forum..... so posting the STV link (although the BBC coverage was better) to an interesting River Don story.

:z3

Jim Eddie

Re: I suppose someone has to post it
« Reply #1 on: 24/09/2011 at 17:58 »
Ridiculous for something he did 40 odd years ago, to jail somone for something like this when you see people walking free after commiting much worse crimes.

:z18

Jim

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 24/09/2011 at 19:12 »
I second what Jim said, complete non-sense.

bordertroot

« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2011 at 22:07 »
Ridiculous for something he did 40 odd years ago, to jail somone for something like this when you see people walking free after commiting much worse crimes.

Jim
Apart from anything else Jim,think of the cost !

Bob

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 25/09/2011 at 08:27 »

Jim

Not quite. He was jailed for disturbing the peace last year not for something he did 40 years ago. He was protesting against the injunction on him which is fair enough, but if the police tell you you are obstructing the highway and disturbing the peace then it might be a smart idea to change tactics. Unless of course you decide you want to be a martyr and get more publicity. I don't know which applies in his case.

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 25/09/2011 at 09:14 »
Shame to see an old guy locked up and a bit of a waste of money but, as Irvine points out he had it coming. He apparently wants to take his grandson fishing but is banned, on my understanding from 8 miles of the Don, I could be wrong but, from what I have picked up, there are many many miles that he is not banned from.

Cheers

Ben

Quickcast 84

« Reply #6 on: 01/10/2011 at 00:36 »
may be a shame for the fella,but a eye opener for him.he did the crime,now do the time.the rivers are so protected now,how would you feel if you went down fishing at your favourite spot all day expecting a tug every 2nd or 3rd cast but got nothing,cus sum stupid old bugger has set a net or bunged a line or ten in,half a mile downstream!!!  sorry but regardless,this is not accectable :mad

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 01/10/2011 at 18:48 »
Looks like I am n my own on this one.

The guy was banned from a certain stretch by a certain Mr Paton (no guess which beat then)

He contraveined a court judgement not once or twice, but multiple times. He was warned by the Police that if he continued, he would be arrested and a custodial sentence may follow.

He ignored that advice and was arrested for Breach of the Peace.

In court he was asked multiple times to refrain from answering back but chose to also ignore the judges advice.

He was therefore jailed for Contempt of Court. (straight from the horses mouth, not a paper or hearsay.) The sentence had nothing what so ever to do with a court case from 40 years ago and everything to do with a cantankerous old fool who showed little respect to the Judge or Court.

Various reports in the papers have put the number of salmon he was caught with, which earned him the ban between' 40+ to 60+. As the papers have proved, they are not very good at reporting the facts but a local angler in an Aberdeen tackle shop, who remembers the original case stated that this chap was extremely well known and had been caught with numerous bags of poisoned salmon over a fairly long period of time.

Make of that what you will, but I believe he got what was comming to him.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com