Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

Parkhill on sunday
« on: 22/09/2011 at 12:52 »
Hi all,

New to the forum and pretty new to fly fishing.
As i stay out the road i was considering getting a visitor permit for the parkhill beat that allows fly fishing on a sunday.

Was looking for some advice/tactics, fly choice ect.

Currently have a 6wt rod and a 3wt rod, which one would suit this beat best? both have floating lines.

Any feedback would be great.

Dan

buntinbee

Re: Parkhill on sunday
« Reply #1 on: 22/09/2011 at 17:25 »
Hi Dan,

Take both rods, the 3 wt will be fine as long as there's no wind. The best area to concentrate on for the brownies is the half mile stretch above the road bridge. As for flies, any olive type fly between 14 and 18 will more than likely suffice.

danbruce

« Reply #2 on: 22/09/2011 at 20:43 »
Cheers Buntinbee... :z18

Can't wait to get out on the water.

Another question - sorry quite new to river fishing - what breaking strain of tippet will be best for the don trout?
Also will it be best fishing single fly or with a team?

Cheers again.
dan

buntinbee

« Reply #3 on: 22/09/2011 at 21:18 »
Hi Dan,

4lb breaking strain should be more than adequate, I would go lighter if you are confident in your gear. Personally I would stick to the dryfly if there are trout rising, if you fish the wet fly then a couple of olives in different sizes would probably be your best bet. The stretch a couple of hundred yards either side of where the Goval burn comes in is probably one of the most productive stretches on the Don for brownies.

danbruce

« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2011 at 08:02 »
Thanks again, will give your suggestions a go and will let you know how i get on.

danbruce

« Reply #5 on: 24/09/2011 at 22:54 »
Just having a browse throught the forum and noticed some posts from previous years suggesting using streamers round about this time of year...

Like i said in an earlier post i am pretty new to fly fishing what flies/patterns would be classed as streamers? :z8

Also i would like to say that finding this forum has been great, there is so much info related to the beats i want to fish.

Thanks to everyone who posts here. :z14

Dan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 25/09/2011 at 06:56 »
Hi Dan
I have had a lot of fish on an olive wooly bugger like the first one in this link. The black and red in the second pic would be popular as well. Not sure if the third image would be much use for trout :z8 :z4
  http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wooly+buggers+flies&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=w8F-TtTKN4at8gOfsK2IAQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1027&bih=645

danbruce

« Reply #7 on: 25/09/2011 at 09:50 »
Cheers for the advice, :z16

Sure i have the first and second one in my box, so will try them. And if all else fails i'd be willing to have a go on the third one.....not sure where i'd be able to pick one of them up though.

Anyway away to hit the water, will hopefully report back later tonight.

Dan

danbruce

« Reply #8 on: 25/09/2011 at 21:08 »
Well after 5 hours of very enjoyable fishing this afternoon i can report that there are a lot of large fish to be had at the moment......sadly not by me. :z10

The weather was looking good but getting quite windy as the afternoon went on.
There wasn't much trout movement on the surface only saw 2 or 3, sadly all out my range. Actually saw more salmon moving than trout, counted 6 all at different locations.

Taking on board some of the great advice from here i decided to fish wets.
Having hooked and lost 2 trout (one that broke my tippet and one that spat the hook out) the broken tippet was probably down to me not checking it's condition as the day went on.  :oops
Both fish felt of a good size maybe 2lbs. Was a joy to have hooked them even if it was only briefly. :grin

On the down side though i noticed that 50 yards up stream from the road bridge there looks and smells like petrol or diesel on some of the water near the bank. Someone has put down a floating foam barrier to try and contain the pollution but it's not the best. Can't tell weather this is flowing into the river or just a localised spill. Who would be best to see about this? Has this already been reported?

Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #9 on: 25/09/2011 at 23:15 »
Hi Dan,

My first post on here, might as well be on the Don thread !

Glad you had a good day at Parkhill and unlucky on the lost fish - a feeling I know well (it's always the good ones !). I was fishing a bit upstream from you today from about 5.30pm. Lots of Trout moving in the streamy water mainly on Olive Duns (and emergers ?) and plently of Needle Flies about too. 7.00pm (like last night) quite a bit of sedge activity and the fish switched to these. I caught two nice fish last night (both returned) on DHE size 14 dry fished uptream so stuck to that today.

Early on hooked and lost a nice trout of about 2 lb (jumped so got a good lookie at it). The Orvis Supestrong 6x Tippet that I treated myself to let me down with the knot giving up the ghost at the hook. I only use barbless so hopefully the hook will just fall out. But.....same happened last night using Orvis SS 5x tippet, so a bit of a pattern developing here ( will be posting on the gear thread for some advice about this tippet material). Managed a couple of nice trout of 1.5 lbs each and a handful at 3 to the pound size so not a bad night. All fish, as always, returned alive and well. This was on my usual Stroft Mono !

The pollution is a diesel contamination that has been reported to SEPA - shocking that nothing has been done about it but ADAA are aware of it and I am sure are chasing it up.

Lindsay

Iain Cameron

Re: Parkhill on sunday New
« Reply #10 on: 26/09/2011 at 07:45 »

The pollution is a diesel contamination that has been reported to SEPA - ... .

as lindsay said, it's been reported by ADAA members to sepa. the emergency hotline for reporting polluiton SEPA is 0800 807060

bad luck on the knots pulling out. takes away all confidence in the particular mono you're using!

iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #11 on: 26/09/2011 at 11:36 »
Hi Iain,

Yes, pollution a bummer, actually put me off going down that stretch yesterday - don't fancy diesel on flies, fly line etc ! Might have solved the breakage issue (see Tackle Forum).

Ta for encouraging me to stick to Bob Wyatts DHE btw. That thing should possibly be banned ! Had 10 in an hour a few weeks ago at dusk as the fish were locked on to emerging Sedge pupa - literally every cast at one point ( and some decent fish). Was working well last night when they were hitting emerging Olives and Sedges and when taking Duns from the surface. The ole "CDC and Elk" has been gathering dust...

Cheers,

Lindsay

danbruce

« Reply #12 on: 26/09/2011 at 19:23 »
Good to hear there was more activity on the surface later in the evening. Wish i'd stayed on longer now.
Read the tackle post, fingers crossed thats problem solved now.

Another beginners question, when is the end of the trout season? Hoping to get out at least once more to try and catch my first River Don Brown Trout.

Dan

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 26/09/2011 at 19:25 »
Good to hear there was more activity on the surface later in the evening. Wish i'd stayed on longer now.
Read the tackle post, fingers crossed thats problem solved now.

Another beginners question, when is the end of the trout season? Hoping to get out at least once more to try and catch my first River Don Brown Trout.

Dan

Not long Dan 30th of September  :cry

:z18

Jim

danbruce

« Reply #14 on: 26/09/2011 at 19:29 »
Thanks Jim,

Sure i'll manage to get out on saturday morning. fingers crossed i have more luck this time.
Was thinking about trying upper parkhill.

Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com