Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Whip finishing. Hand or tool
« on: 21/09/2011 at 12:23 »
I was wondering does any of the skilled fly makers use a hand whip finish on their flys? Iv only started tying and didn't bother buying a tool. Does it come to a point where the need for consistency using a tool outweighs the satisfaction of hand finish?
Thoughts?
Paul

Ben Dixon

Re: Whip finishing. Hand or tool
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2011 at 12:57 »
I was wondering does any of the skilled fly makers use a hand whip finish on their flys? Iv only started tying and didn't bother buying a tool. Does it come to a point where the need for consistency using a tool outweighs the satisfaction of hand finish?
Thoughts?
Paul

Whip finishes are over rated, two half hitches with a dubbing needle and a drop varnish has always served me fine.

Cheers

Ben

jpm75

« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2011 at 13:08 »
Hi Paul, I think its down to your own preference. Personally I do a bit of both, depending what I'm tying. What Ben says is right too. Sometimes a few half hitches will be sufficient.
Regards John.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2011 at 14:43 »
Whip finishes are over rated, two half hitches with a dubbing needle and a drop varnish has always served me fine.

Cheers

Ben

You're just to lazy to whip finish Ben  :z4 :z4

Seriously I find hand finishing is more accurate than using a tool. I can use one but cannot see why.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 21/09/2011 at 16:14 »
You're just to lazy to whip finish Ben  :z4 :z4

Seriously I find hand finishing is more accurate than using a tool. I can use one but cannot see why.

Hand or tool my arse Pete

Is it just me that can see the bottle of Anglin' Glue on our resident fly tyers bench in the above pic :z4

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 21/09/2011 at 17:39 »

Hand or tool my arse Pete

Is it just me that can see the bottle of Anglin' Glue on our resident fly tyers bench in the above pic :z4

Ben

I was framed your honour a wee boy did it and ran away.  :z4 :z4 :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 21/09/2011 at 19:55 »
Does it come to a point where the need for consistency using a tool outweighs the satisfaction of hand finish?
Thoughts?

I've never felt it necessary to use a whip finish tool and believe I still get solid results without the need for a tool which can be tricky to use - so why bother :? Probably down to the fact that when I got my first fly tying kit some 28 fishing seasons ago there wasn't a whip finish tool in the kit - so I've always tied them 'by hand'.

Horses for courses, some folk use a whip finish tool and maintain it's the only way - others don't.  Do you actually need to use a whip finish is a question which has pretty much been asked as well. No, you don't.

Do I still do a whip finish on 99.9% of my flies :?

Yup :wink

:z3

PS = Peter, shame on you  :shock :z7

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2011 at 20:40 »

PS = Peter, shame on you  :shock :z7

Mum mum that's another one! :z19 :z19 They're ganging up one me :z19 :z19

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com