Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Orvis Access 10' #4
« on: 18/09/2011 at 20:01 »
Thanks to some really nice people I had the pleasure of fishing the new Access 10' #4, from here on in known as the Access 104 (cue the convoy jokes).

It comes in a natty tube with a web of dividers inside that do away with the need for a rod bag. Not everyones cup of tea, but I like it as the rod can dry out better. The rod is finished in a "root beer" colour that looks lovely in the Highland light, and the gold fittings are superb. Hamish's Orvis mid arbor reel was a bit tight in the cork end of the reel seat (but was held firmly) but my Teton slipped in perfectly. It might be a case of try before you buy. The reel seat spacer is carbon fibre, finished in the same root beer. Shiny!  :z16 The cork is smooth and of a high quality. Sure there is filler, but more expensive rods have that too and sometimes not as well finished.
Chrome snakes might not have the same ring as titanium or recoil guides but at £300 and not the Helios £600, costs have to be saved somewhere. These savings take nothing away from the rod and I can't help but feel that we used these rings for years and they were just fine. Gold line up dots are the perfect finish to a high class blank. In fact all the whippings were well finished, transparent and lacking in crap, bubbled varnish.  :z4

In the hand the 104 is light, really light, not that far behind the Helios 104. It tracks well and throws a very straight line. Fishing from the boat, and at boat distances, it sent cast after cast, all day, in a straight line with only one false cast. Loop size was easily controllable, from open and delicate to drop two flies gently or arrow head tight to go through the wind and still turn over. Yes it's tippy, but it's a casting for fishing tool not a casting for prizes tool. Roll casts snap out and turn over beautifully and Hamish had no problem showing off with some rather natty roll/flip casts.

When the wind died off (and just for fun) we tried it for distance. WF4 is not a distance line but H had the backing knot out and I was only a couple of yards under that (well four...) This would be just as at home off the bank as out of the boat.

So what happens when you hook up to a trout? It forms a lovely bendy curve that cushions runs and acrobatic leaps but still gives you full control over the quarry. My 4lb nylon never felt stressed and I could have probably gone lighter without a problem. Line control is superb and hooking trout at close range on the dibble in front of the boat was no problem, much to the surprise of more than one Brownie.

Would I have one? F**k yes! :z16
And as soon as I have the money I WILL have one. It is one of the finest rods I've ever cast. I have odd tastes in rods thanks to Geoffrey Bucknall, so ten foot long and a light line, #4, is everything that I want. It would be right at home with all the trout and grayling in the UK and I'll bet that sea trout would also fall for it's charms, river or loch. From a tube it would be right at home, especially on a Highland loch.

It's only £300 and Christmas is coming guys...  :z7

:z1

Jim Eddie

Re: Orvis Access 10' #4
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2011 at 20:21 »
Did you like it though Euan  :z13

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2011 at 10:27 »
Jim,
I'd say that the amount of drool it generated whilst in his possession and the general reluctance to hand it back were indicative of Euan liking it very much a lot :z4
It's the first time I've had one of the Access 10' models in my mitts and I'm similarly impressed, did all I asked of it without issue. Might have to consider adding one or two of these Access rods to my armoury :wink
:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2011 at 13:35 »
Thank God I was wearing a wading jacket and breathables is all I can say. I had to photoshop the drool out of all my photos and I had to bale the boat every half hour  :z4

Now trying to find what I can shift on Ebay to buy one.

:z1

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 13/07/2012 at 15:29 »
Guys  :z16

I was going to start a new topic - but the review by Euan is great and  I'm lazy!  :z7

I have noticed these rods seem to be getting a hell of a lot of good press lately. Who has one and what do you think of it?

I have an Access reel sitting at home doing nothing, so it makes sense to buy the rod really  :z4 plus orvis are offering 20% with a charity rod swap. Perfect! I already have pretty much a 10ft rod which is a #4 so a different model might be worth trying, 8ft 6" #5 or the likes?

Ben I'll be out to the shop soon, hopefully you can help.  :z16

Cheers
Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 13/07/2012 at 15:52 »
Right...here is a question...I noticed Orvis have knocked 20% off of Helios and Access rods on their website if you donate an old rod to charity.

With all the rave reviews, why drop the price so much? Replacements coming???

Time for me to get the #7 10 footer for Sea Trout and Mullet/Bass/Carp? Do you have one in stock Ben??

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 13/07/2012 at 19:16 »
Bought one ,second hand but unused, for a decent price recently. Have used it twice and am impressed.

It 's getting tucked away though for special excursions from the runner ring.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #7 on: 13/07/2012 at 21:26 »
Right...here is a question...I noticed Orvis have knocked 20% off of Helios and Access rods on their website if you donate an old rod to charity.

20% off the Access rods in the Online Sale without Rod donation ! Bargain, git the plastic oot !

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #8 on: 13/07/2012 at 21:50 »
20% off the Access rods in the Online Sale without Rod donation ! Bargain, git the plastic oot !

Lindsay

Oh shit nice!! Thanks for pointing that out Lindsay  :z16

Cheers
Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 19/07/2012 at 12:31 »
Well in the end I opted for a rather nice 9ft 5wt  :z16

Thanks for the help Ben!

Cheers
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com