Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Day afloat with Euan
« on: 18/09/2011 at 10:50 »
So.... Euan  :z1 and I had a day out on a 'loch near Inverness' yesterday, a water we have fished before but this time from the end we were not familiar with.
Conditions were perfect when we started and I do mean perfect, with a nice SW wind just the right amount of sun, it was warm and there were flies hatching.
The trout thought it was perfect too and Euan was quickly into a nice trout:

It was a wee beauty, lovely markings:

Not that the trout were being shy, We hit the loch just right and yours truly was in amongst some nice trout quickly:

They fought like tigers, both our 10ft #4wts (Helios for me, an Access for Euan) bent nicely and often into some belting  hard running trout which went far better than their size suggested. The markings on the fish were beautiful, stunning late season colours:

Lunchtime came around quickly and the usual leisurely lunch on the shore gave way to an urge to get back out on the water again. The forecast rain seemed to be missing us but, from our location up in the hills, the heavy clouds could be seen skirting around so we knew it was only a matter of time before the heavens opened. Fortunately, the fishing gods were still smiling on us and sport continued with plenty of trout between 8oz and 1lb with the very occasional tiddler thrown in.
Still the trout came, and perfect they were too:

But then the forecast rain arrived - thankfully later than expected with us - the wind changed direction 180 degrees and picked up. Boy did it piss down :z10 Still, didn't seem to put the fish off which continued to hammer into our flies.
At this point Euan connected with easily the 'fish of the day' which was on for all too brief a time. I watched it roll over and take his bob fly. Easily 2lb+ it wasn't the only good fish we saw which bodes well for a return trip next year.
Anyway, at this point the rain eased and so did the wind. Now normally when the wind dies so does the fishing. Not so this day, the trout continued to rise so we gently sculled around until we found them and they still came willingly to pulled wets in a flat calm. Nice :cool:
We were both in our element, and Euan was a happy bunny as I believe this pic shows:

And to be honest, I wasn't all that unhappy either:

By the back of 6pm it was getting a might autumnal with a chill creeping in and the trout, finally, reluctant to take flies. So we beat a retreat to the shore.
I have no idea how many trout we caught - a lot. Actually, more than a lot. The fishing was epic, I don't think we had a single drift when we didn't connect with, land, move or see trout. Brilliant fun.
Great day, and a lovely way to start winding down the trout season. We'll be back there next year I think :cool:

H  :z3

Kevin Muir

Re: Day afloat with Euan
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2011 at 17:06 »
Hi Hamish,

That was a cracking report and the photos of the day were great too.

The back end fishing can be great at times, you both proved that and then some.

Some very nice looking fish in the photos.

Kev.

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2011 at 17:22 »
As the man said it was a great way to end the season  :grin

Hamish has posted the trout photos so here we go with some of the views.
For starters this is what it looked like when we went afloat.

And look, still no rain

Lunch was brief but still dry and as lovely as you can get.

Then the rain came around 16.30 but the fish were still up for it.

And when the storm passed and the wind died, we had this

And this (another reason that I travel North and fish for Brownies)

We are SOOO going back next year. The other end of this loch is nice but this end is the real deal. The trout are beautiful, fight really well and the loch is off the beaten track but accessible by car. As Hamish said, I had an Orvis Access 104 and there will be a report on that elsewhere.

This loch is just magical  :z14

Where is it? Somewhere near Inverness, right enough.... :z7

:z1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 18/09/2011 at 19:31 »
Nice report guys sounds like you had a grand day  :z16

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 18/09/2011 at 20:29 »
Looks lovely and the pics are great. Will be quizzing either of you for the location when we meet.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 19/09/2011 at 22:22 »
Conditions look perfect as perfect as the fish :z16

Didn't like the look of the flat calm so glad to hear that it didn't deter the fish.

liking the reports with great snaps
Nice one!

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 19/09/2011 at 22:39 »
Thanks Iain.
The flat calm was ace. Pulled #10 flies and lots of aggression from the trout  :z16
This kind of day is truly rare and we were just glad to be there...

...wherever that was!!  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 19/09/2011 at 23:05 »
Awesome report and photos guys :z14

Beautiful Brownies in wonderful surroundings! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

John Reid

« Reply #8 on: 20/09/2011 at 20:17 »
Looks brilliant guys.

Perfect location and perfect fishing!  :z13

Thanks for the report  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 21/09/2011 at 10:20 »
Pleased y'all liked the report and pics  :z16
Was a fabulous days fishing and, by all accounts, we had by far and away the most successful day recorded this season on the loch.
I think we hit it just right :grin
Needless to say, this loch will be on the list for next seasons 'Highland Fling' :wink ..... along with a couple of others I need to do a wee bit more 'research' on.

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 21/09/2011 at 13:31 »
Can I take it that we will take those on the Fling to the loch in the boot of the car wearing blindfolds Hamish?  :z13
The location is so secret that getting into Area 51 would be easier  :z4

Oh and I'm in for the research program too!

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 21/09/2011 at 19:45 »
Can I take it that we will take those on the Fling to the loch in the boot of the car wearing blindfolds Hamish?  :z13
Oh yes, I think that would do  :z7

Oh and I'm in for the research program too!

Cool :cool: I have a couple of lochs in mind that should.... errrr........ float yer tube :wink

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 21/09/2011 at 20:48 »
..... along with a couple of others I need to do a wee bit more 'research' on.

Dirty job but someone's  got to do it H eh  :grin :grin :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com