Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

Entomology
« on: 08/03/2007 at 18:39 »
I am totally new to river fishing and don't know a thing about entomology exept for what i've learned in Biology. What kind of flies would you expect to find on the river Don at the start of the trout season and should you use to imatate them?

Thanks, Jay

Mike Barrio

Re: Entomology
« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2007 at 23:54 »
Quote from: "jayscott"
I am totally new to river fishing and don't know a thing about entomology exept for what i've learned in Biology. What kind of flies would you expect to find on the river Don at the start of the trout season and should you use to imatate them?

Thanks, Jay

Hi Jay

A good place to start would be to take a look at April in the fly chart for the Don on my main website  :wink:

See http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-tactics.html

Hope this helps
Mike Barrio

Jay Scott

Entomology
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2007 at 16:25 »
Thanks Mike, but what should i look for when i want to immatate?

Thanks, Jay

Irvine Ross

Entomology
« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2007 at 16:54 »
Jay

Take a look at

http://www.first-nature.com/insects/index.htm

Its the top row of insects that interest us fly fishers. The upwings, the sedges, the true flies and the stoneflies

The ones you are most ikley to meet in the first few weeks on the Don are the March Brown-  Rithrogena germanica and the Large Dark Olive - Baëtis rhodani.

The first has brown speckled wings and the second has pale blue/grey wings. A good dry fly for either is a Hares Ear F fly or a Deer Hair Emerger or a March Brown.

Roll on April 1st

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

Entomology
« Reply #4 on: 10/03/2007 at 22:45 »
Brilliant link Irvine :z16

This a great start for you Jay, i would take what irvine says and add, look at Baetis Niger (iron blue), heptagenia sulphurea (yellow mays) and the Ephemerella ignita (BWO).
This covers you for most of therest of  hatches on the Don, although there is a good head of Caenis too.
And Baetis scambus (small dk olives) which can come of all year.

matching the hatch is fun, but most of the bugs can be imitated by a handful of flies in different sizes, finding out what they are , is what it's all about :wink:

Sandy

Jay Scott

Entomology
« Reply #5 on: 11/03/2007 at 12:58 »
Thanks,

I'll give that a look just now!

Thanks, Jay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com