Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

paul w

signal crayfish
« on: 06/09/2011 at 03:43 »

hi ugys quick query...which might be completely irelevant

after reading some threads on above species on other forums i know people are catching them with small drop nets for personal consumption...quite a lot in some cases ...and of course the make a fantastic green thai curry or even ust helmans paprika and on a sandwhich.....
so.....

always fancyed this but do we have these in our own rivers in scotland or are they just down south??
if so up here where?  ( im in montrose)  and who governs lawa legality with them ?i know its thEnviroment Agency for england

any help / info appreciated

paul w

Jim Eddie

Re: signal crayfish
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2011 at 06:44 »
Paul

There are isolated populations in Scotland. However its illegal to be in possesion of Live crayfish and you need a licence to trap them.

http://www.invasivespeciesscotland.org.uk/invasive_non_native_species/north_american_signal_crayfish.asp

:z18

Jim

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 06/09/2011 at 13:26 »
I believe you have to get a licence from SNH , easgach1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 06/09/2011 at 13:47 »
Licensing enquiries should be directed to: Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries, Pentland House, 47 Robb's Loan, Edinburgh EH14 1TY
Tel: 0131 244 5244

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 06/09/2011 at 14:47 »
Paul

There are isolated populations in Scotland. However its illegal to be in possesion of Live crayfish and you need a licence to trap them.

http://www.invasivespeciesscotland.org.uk/invasive_non_native_species/north_american_signal_crayfish.asp

Jim

One of the reasons we should regulary disinfect after each trip to ensure they stay isolated as long as posible.  I've been given stuff from a friendly vet i know (will look up the name) which is diluted in a wee hand pump spray to give my wet gear (waders, boots, tube, net) a quick once over before it goes in the garage.  However two / three days totally dry should see them off, or at least see off the larvae.  Keep em out guys.

Allan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 06/09/2011 at 15:32 »
Virkon would be the stuff you are talking about Alan.  Sodium Chloride solution (min 3%) is also sufficient for most sterilisation and is an accepted method for GS.  Not so sure about crayfish larvae although I should probably find out.

Cheers

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #6 on: 06/09/2011 at 16:54 »
Virkon would be the stuff you are talking about Alan.  Sodium Chloride solution (min 3%) is also sufficient for most sterilisation and is an accepted method for GS.  Not so sure about crayfish larvae although I should probably find out.

Cheers

Ben

I love the smell of Virkon!  We use it for disinfecting buildings on the farm.

I have heard reports of Crayfish on the upper reaches of the Clyde but have not seen any myself yet.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 06/09/2011 at 18:07 »
I love the smell of Virkon!  We use it for disinfecting buildings on the farm.

I have heard reports of Crayfish on the upper reaches of the Clyde but have not seen any myself yet.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning  :z13

Jim

Euan Innes

« Reply #8 on: 06/09/2011 at 18:22 »
Damn, you beat me to it  :z7 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com