Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Keeping warm in breathables
« on: 30/08/2011 at 16:14 »
Just got a set of these from E-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLYESTER-FLEECE-LINED-THERMAL-TROUSERS-NAVY-LARGE-NEW-/230577686375?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2428474974005429856#ht_500wt_922

and at first wearing I think that these might be the dogs for tubing in breathables and at that price it feels like money well spent.
Being a largish chap (no sniggering at the back) I went for the large but I might have been better off with the XL. They are a bit snug but will probably stretch in and they are a really good fit with my waders.

Sea trials on  Thursday at Haddo, full report to follow.

:z1

Iain Goolager

Re: Keeping warm in breathables
« Reply #1 on: 30/08/2011 at 20:31 »
Soundmix,

They look like bulk standard fleecy thermal trousers which are reasonably thick so should keep the cold wader material away from your garments and be the mutts medalions.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 30/08/2011 at 23:09 »
Iain,

As long as I don't end up with brass doggies I'll be fine  :shock
I was hoping that I might wear them over my fishing trousers but after several trials in the house I think they might have to go over some long shorts (ahem, lycra... OMG!) just to be comfortable.
I hope this doesn't mean that I am getting a rubber fetish like you  :z10

Gimp... :z7

Kev Danby

« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2011 at 12:22 »
Those bring back memories in my coarse fishing days I had the full romper suit. I would suggest thin cotton trousers and then adding the thermals. You should also check out the craghopper website they have some good deals on lined walking type trousers. 

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 01/09/2011 at 22:38 »
I can now say that these trousers are the dogs dangly bits :z16
At Haddo today I was warm and toasty in my breathables bobbing about in the Red Oktober (2). I wore them over my lightweight fishing trousers (thanks Tesco) and they only got wet in the boot of my car when the nylon bag they were in, inside my wader dry bag with wet boots, turned out to be water unproof and they are now on the line drying...
Fiver well spent in my books  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 13/09/2011 at 21:27 »
I was issued a pair of these http://www.denbigharmysurplus.co.uk/army-stores/Thermal-Trousers-Extreme-Cold-Weather-Trouser-Liner.html back in 1993 and I still have them today.

They have zips up both legs and can be completely removed/put on without having to remove boots etc.

Even if damp they remain warm and toasty.

They are getting hard to find these days as they stopped issuing them 10 years ago so be quick.

Well worth £15

Strangely enough they were made in Aberdeen by a company called Remploy who hired disabled folk who could not normally get a "normal" job.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com