Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Rod lengths
« Reply #15 on: 02/09/2011 at 23:53 »
I should of course add that practical issues, whatever these might be .... should not cloud one's judgement when the urge is there to acquire new toys :z4  :z4  :z4

Perhaps we should all have an 8.5, 9, 9.5 and 10 footer in various weights ..... just in case we need them! :wink

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #16 on: 03/09/2011 at 00:15 »
Or we should all do what Geoffrey Bucknall did and have a range of rods ALL in the same line.*
It's his damn fault that I got into light lines in the first place, with his crazy Brightwater rods - imagine having a set of rods in 8, 9, and 10 feet all using a #3 line. These are all trout rods, including seatrout, and throw the same line.

I am so used to a 9 footer (all I've used in the last 6 years) that I don't know how I would get on with a 10' but I like the idea.

Ben - The accuracy thing IS better with a 9' and I need one that out shoots the Scott.

Mike - Yes my casting needs to be better... :z10

And another thing. Thanks to Bucknall, again, I only use two flies from a drifting boat so does the reach, dibble, working the fly thing really matter? I can get my arm pretty high up to work the flies.

So I need two shoot outs. One at Haddo to find the rod that I am after and on at the bank when I make the withdrawal  :z13

And whatever rod I choose better take my Teton reel in it's seat or the deal is off :z4

*Go read "To meet the first march brown" by GB if you haven't already - just a great read. It's written by an angler, not an "expert".

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 03/09/2011 at 00:47 »

Mike - Yes my casting needs to be better... :z10

Euan - You should see mine!  :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 03/09/2011 at 02:59 »
So it has more to do with venue and fishing tactics :wink
I'd go with that.
I like to use 8'6" or 9ft at haddo but tend to go longer elsewhere
As the fishing style dictates.
A less tip actioned and more through actioned rod might also help :cool:
I think we should all have a 7'6" 4wt boo :z7

Sandy

Euan Innes

« Reply #19 on: 03/09/2011 at 09:16 »
I think we should all have a 7'6" 4wt boo

I have!  :z16

:z1

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 03/09/2011 at 13:44 »
Me too, so what more do you need :wink

S

Ben Dixon

« Reply #21 on: 03/09/2011 at 14:05 »
Euan - You should see mine!  :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Why Mike?  You've not gone backwards again have you or should that be more backwards?  :z7

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 04/09/2011 at 00:17 »
More backwards Ben :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com