Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Rod Turner Mod's
« on: 27/08/2011 at 00:46 »
Still looking for a comprehensive guide on the net on building a multi rod turner as the microwave motor I have is 21V AC and really don't fancy trial and error with component purchases.
Then I remembered that I've a Stonefly Turner & set about fixing this into the upright of my rod wrapper. The upright is too thick for an easy mount of the motor and switch so decided to fix the turner to a plinth and use it on the track of the wrapper.
Oh dear, I dropped it while doing 2 jobs at once and pulled one wire out of the motor & damaged the other.  :mad furious with myself!
So I set about replacing the two wires to the motor and switch also I decided to fit a 9V battery instead of the 4 x 1.5V ones. I soldered crocodile clips on at the battery tails so that motor direction could be changed for any reason(not instantaneously obviously).
The original rest was used and 2 spacers were made along withg the plinth for height adjustments.

I'm thinking of epoxying 2 sections at a time - leaving the second section in the turner and turning the first by hand.  

Iain

Irvine Ross

Re: Rod Turner Mod's
« Reply #1 on: 27/08/2011 at 08:33 »
Ian

Why not just fit the two sections together? All you need to do is move the support further away from the motor.

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2011 at 08:38 »
Ian

Why not just fit the two sections together? All you need to do is move the support further away from the motor.

Irvine

Just like doing a 2 piece rod :z16

Simples :wink

Sandy

PDScott

« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2011 at 09:43 »
Iain,
It is amazing what you can find to do while waiting for the tumble-drier to finish! Looks the business though.
All the best
Peter

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 27/08/2011 at 11:00 »
Nice dryer and video loon. Nice bike you've got too!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 27/08/2011 at 11:50 »
Thanks Guys,

The room I'm doing it in is quite small and is already filled with tying and other junk so if I were to dry the two pieces together then I'll have to epoxy them seperately then fix them together for the drying.

How long do you need to turn a rod for anyway? surely a lite coat would be past its droop time after a couple of hours?

Peter,
The tumble drier is to heat my epoxy prior to mixing  :z4

Matt,
I'll sell you the bike if you want.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 27/08/2011 at 13:35 »
Give Litebuild 8hrs :z16 to be sure

I usually do them at bedtime and leave them over night. Effective use of time :cool:

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 27/08/2011 at 17:14 »
Ok 8 hrs it is  :z16

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com