Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

How much hardship can a blank take
« on: 26/08/2011 at 20:45 »
Looking again at Sandys' SBS and on the net I see some people advocate Keying the blank with a file when fitting the handle, this set me thinking about the make up of the carbon/ scrim whatever it's called.

By the way I sandpapered my blank prior to fitting handle 'cos I was scared.

What would constitute serious or potentialy serious harm to the blank? Apart from hitting it with a Shuggie of course  :z19

could over zealous filing create a stress fracture in the blank? would scratching any exposed section of blank only really be a cosmetic blemish on the rod (I'm assuming that it's not fatal if it only affects the colour coating)? I'm also thinking about the removal of epoxy residue with a blade when removing a ring - I guess you aim to leave the merest of epoxy film?

Iain

Ben Dixon

Re: How much hardship can a blank take
« Reply #1 on: 26/08/2011 at 22:56 »
You'll be fine, use a fine file.  If you're filing the thick end it is unlikely that you'll cause any sort of stress fracture try not to score anything with a blade though.  Scratching the epoxy off will only leave a cosmetic mark but I'd try to use your nails and only take a blade to it if necessary.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com