Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Removing old rod rings
« on: 24/08/2011 at 20:53 »
As a little experiment on the rod manipulation front I decided to remove a single leg ring from an old piece of rod to see what's involved.

With the section lying so that the rod rings were looking up at me I ran a blade along the foot of the ring slicing both epoxy and thread. I carefully sliced the epoxy & thread from the 'lead in ramp' of the ring so that it could be wiggled loose then off completely.
I then peeled off the epoxy and wraps that had covered the foot.
All pretty much logical & straightforward so far.
Now here's where the real question arises.............this process left a thread tag exposed which I proceeded to unfurl until - voila! - all the whippings were gone.
How do I remove the epoxy residue from the blank? apply heat & wipe? use some form of fluid? (brake or meths?) and do these things work to soften cured epoxy?

All the old sweats will be having a good laugh at this rod building puppy but I'm happy learning something new each day.

All that remains

Iain

Ben Dixon

Re: Removing old rod rings
« Reply #1 on: 24/08/2011 at 21:35 »
Hi Iain,

I would not use any form of solvent, I'd be worried about it taking off the finish on the blank.  I picked off the old epoxy with my nail aided by a stanley blade on the rods I have stripped.

Maybe Sandy or Rob will have a better alternative.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2011 at 21:37 »
Sounds about right Benji  :z16

How's Trig coming along with the 2 x hander?

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 25/08/2011 at 09:55 »
Not sure about this but you clean grp with acetone (nail poilish remover... we know you've got some :grin :grin) so that might get the epoxy off......... on second  thoughts maybe try it on a scrap blank first

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 25/08/2011 at 11:03 »
I'm with Ben :z16

Finger nails and a blade if necessary, patience is the key :wink

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 25/08/2011 at 13:53 »

How's Trig coming along with the 2 x hander?

Suprisingly well considering he did not know which end to hold!

You going to build tournment rods for Hamsih & me when the blanks turn up?

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2011 at 21:20 »
Ahem ahem.
With regard to my new interest, double hander casting. 
As Mr. Miyagi said  "No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher"

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 25/08/2011 at 22:32 »
 :shock

Good way to ensure future aid - you naughty Irish person :z7

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 13/09/2011 at 21:10 »
Nails, heat from a hairdrier and plenty of time.

I have used acetone to clean up the blank sometimes. I was worried about this at first but several professional rod builders on a US forum all said it was fine. If i have areas of epoxy thats just not comming off, i wrap a little tissue paper around the area then soak with acetone for a few minutes. Remove the tissue and then rub with tissue paper. It comes off a treat leaving no damage.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 13/09/2011 at 21:20 »
I have an old rod section with epoxy residue so I'll give this method a go later in the week.

Ta Rob

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com