Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jonathan Kerr

hot melt glue / epoxy small mixing cups!
« on: 24/08/2011 at 14:05 »
does anyone where i can soure the title components locally to Aberdeen!?

its always the little things that are such a pain to get and you dont think about them until you need them!

found some loctite hot melt glue gun sticks in B&Q but they dont seem very sticky when i tried melting a few things together last night! that seymo type stuff looks much better.

if anyone knows any where that would be great! i may just have to order online!

Iain Goolager

Re: hot melt glue / epoxy small mixing cups!
« Reply #1 on: 24/08/2011 at 15:12 »
Hi Toshkerr,

I ringed my rod last night with the loctite hot melt glue and I found it a wee bit of a hassle, appeared to need a few attemps on some of the smaller rings to get the right amount of adherence without the gloopy excess. I initially tried heating the stick, then the foot then both.
Not having anything to compare it against I just wondered if that's the way of things but looking at the seymo stuff in Sandys' SBS it 'looks' less viscousy and rubbery, if you get my drift.

Let us know how you get on.

Iain

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2011 at 15:51 »
rubbery is certainly a good word for the loctite stuff.  Its just the tip ring i need the hotmelt for, I whipped my guides on a few days ago and it seemed to work pretty well using a thin strip of masking tape.  I should have put the tip on first, but it hadn't arrived in the post and i was so keen to get wrapping!

looks like guides and blanks could be getting a call for some hot melt glue and syringes or graduated mixing cups to measure the epoxy!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 24/08/2011 at 15:54 »
The seymo stuff is fairly hard and not rubbery
Mike might have some kicking about , you could borrow one
It's only a tiny amount you need. Heating the foot only should give spot on results.

The wee cups should come with the kit :wink unless you are using something different.
Cough medicine cups are ideal :wink and reusable once the epoxy goes hard and can be popped out.

Lots of good flytying/rod building friends can be found at the chemists. :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 24/08/2011 at 16:08 »
does anyone where i can soure the title components locally to Aberdeen!?

Both Somers and Sloans have had Fuji Hot Melt glue in the past. I am a bit comfused at what you are using it for though? If its a tip ring, araldite does the job. The ring can be removed at a later date by heating with a lighter.

If it is to "tack" single leg guides onto the blank before whipping (no need to as a thin band of tape will hold it until the whipping is over the foot) you can use superglue gel.

As for cups...just be aware that some small cups can contain silicon...and this will ruin any epoxy finisy. As suggested, cough medicine cups are fine.

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2011 at 17:13 »
one quick walk up to the chemist and 4 small measured mixing cups free of charge. i love good advice, thanks guys! (i bought flex coat from DN and didn't come with mixing cups)

most people online seem to recommend hot melt over aralidite Rob, although i'm not doubting Araldite works very well for securing rod tip guides too!

when it comes to applying the finish...does any cheap little brush do, like a kids paintbrush, or does it need to be some fancy brush?!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 24/08/2011 at 21:54 »
Cheap and cheerful :z16
Nylon bristles are best, just like the cheapo kids ones.
Although any brushes will do as would cocktail sticks,
Although that might prove a touch trickier :wink

Glad the chemists worked :z16

I'd be using hot melt for tips, araldite needs a fair bit of heat soften :wink not always the best idea.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com