Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

My favourite Don nymph
« on: 21/08/2011 at 11:56 »
Personal results have made this the nymph that I use 99% of the time on the Don.

I'm not saying it's the all time best by I defy any trout to prefer another over this one.  :z15

Down the years I've went from the conventional PTN to one with a short brown hen hackle, then a collar of swept back brown ostrich herl & am now on to one with a spun CDC hackle.

Worth a tie

Iain

Iain Cameron

Re: My favourite Don nymph
« Reply #1 on: 21/08/2011 at 19:16 »
fantastic. you don't half tie some tidy flies mr G

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 21/08/2011 at 19:58 »
Don't you find the tails get Knackered very quickly? I use red game hackle fibres

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 21/08/2011 at 20:15 »
Peter,

You are 100% correct.

I've quite a few tied with red game hackles and although they are more resilient (tailnippers can shredd these too eventually) they don't give me that warm feeling that pheasant tail fibres does.

As with the majority of flies I use the expensive bit is the hook (and bead in this case) and if the fly requires redressing after 1 good fish, 4 nice fish, 6 lovely fish, whatever - it's not an issue.

I do regularly check the tails as I've genuinely found that the amount of offers reduce if there is no tails.

Great flies though

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 21/08/2011 at 22:17 »
Nice fly Iain.

Well thought out with the hackle, I may even tie a few up.  Reckon a #18 would do the business at Haddo just now.

Cheers

Ben

Irvine Ross

« Reply #5 on: 22/08/2011 at 08:16 »
As Oli Edwards points out, real nymphs don't go around with a big copper diving helmet on their heads, so why do the fish think this is a real nymph? :z8

Answers should be submitted on the back of a signed, blank cheque  :cool:

Irvine

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 22/08/2011 at 17:03 »
Nice looking flee there Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 24/08/2011 at 16:01 »
As Oli Edwards points out, real nymphs don't go around with a big copper diving helmet on their heads, so why do the fish think this is a real nymph? :z8

I do wonder if the fish mistake the copper/gold/silver bead as an air bubble? I know a nymph would normally not have an air bubble, but beatles etc do so the bubble like flash at the head of the fly may just act as a trigger for the trout.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #8 on: 05/09/2011 at 22:22 »
Very nice fly Iain, any chance of an SBS i would like to attempt this pattern.

John Reid

« Reply #9 on: 06/09/2011 at 00:12 »
Thank you for sharing this Ian t,he Clyde grayling love this fly.  I tied some up last night and had 12 grayling in just over an hour klinking and dinking and countless salmon parr.  No troots though as the parr must have hoovered all their feeding.  Was impressed by the condition of the grayling though.

They would be a great asset for the Don  :wink :wink

Noel Kelly

« Reply #10 on: 06/09/2011 at 07:00 »
12 grayling john  :z16 Those are your first ones right? Any pics? We rarely get to see them on here.

John Reid

« Reply #11 on: 06/09/2011 at 09:52 »
12 grayling john  :z16 Those are your first ones right? Any pics? We rarely get to see them on here.

Noel,  I have been catching the odd one at Laminton but this is the first time I have been doing any nymphing in earnest as the hatches have been good but there was nothing yesterday.  I didnt take any pictures as I was over the gentleman vegetables in high water and didn't fancy dropping the phone.

I will make a point in getting some pictures the next time I catch any. The best one was just over a lb I reckon but they fight really well and are gorgeous fish.  You will have to come down in the winter for them.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 06/09/2011 at 10:16 »
Hi John,

Sounds like a cracking day out and I'm glad the nymph was lucky for you  :z16 What did you use for the tails?

I will get a bit of Grayling fishing in this winter as I agree they are amazing fish.

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #13 on: 06/09/2011 at 11:16 »
I used 4 pheasant tail fibers Ian.   Really glad you shared it.

I fancy getting some pink tungsten beads for grayling time and tying the same fly for them.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com