Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: First Rod Build - goolager
« Reply #45 on: 01/09/2011 at 20:52 »
Yup,

I can bring it to show you. Really don't know about the skill and can defo dismiss the patience part (that'll be fine) was whispered a fair few times.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #46 on: 01/09/2011 at 21:33 »
Looks good man :z16 I will throw a critical eye over it on saturday :z4 Looking forward to having a few practice casts on the don with these huge lead eyed streamers I just got. No need to worry I had a casting lesson recently so the blank should be safe.   

Iain Goolager

« Reply #47 on: 01/09/2011 at 21:40 »
I will throw a critical eye over it on saturday

Aye, once you get them fixed Mr Wonky!  :shock

Irvine Ross

« Reply #48 on: 02/09/2011 at 08:25 »
Ian

Nice job. :z16

Hope it casts as well as it looks

Irvine

Matt Henderson

« Reply #49 on: 03/09/2011 at 09:30 »
Irene,

Looks good!  I think you are being a bit hard on yourself reference the epoxy.  I know from personal experience that you want to make it perfect and that any slight blemish is like a kick in the baws when inspecting the rod ones its off the dryer.  However I think if you take a trip into a local tackle shop and pick some of the most expensive rods off of the racks and look at the whippings and the epoxy you'll see slight blemishes and tag ends galore!  And you definately won't be thinking about it as you use it to launch one of your monster klinks out and hook a don brownie!

hopefully see it soon!

Matt

Alex Burnett

« Reply #50 on: 03/09/2011 at 18:44 »
Well Done Iain :z18

What's your next Build going to be...And don't say there wont be another one because there will. :wink

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #51 on: 05/09/2011 at 21:34 »
Alex,

I will be building another rod this year but what, I don't know :z8

It'll either be a 1wt (TXL-F), possibly a 5wt but I think a 3wt is what would be most usefull to me?

Anyone own/cast/ fished a Z-Axis in 3wt any length?  I had a 4wt in 9' 6" but couldn't wait to offload it as it just didn't set me alight, heard that the 3wt is a different beast. :z8

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #52 on: 06/09/2011 at 03:04 »
Iain

If you are planning a 9ft 3wt, then look no further than Mike's LC blank :wink its the best 3wt blank on the market by far, 3 piece still fits in the boot too :z16 the next best is the 8ft6" winston B111x, IMHO :z16. (GVX might be well worth a look too :wink fantastic value for money)

I'll be bringing back a TFO TciX 9ft 5wt and TCX 9ft 6wt blanks with me, that will be up for grabs probably about the end of november, i have no requirement for them now i'm back home, so if either of them are interesting to you, drop me a line.

See you all soon

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #53 on: 06/09/2011 at 10:26 »
Thanks Sandy  :z16

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #54 on: 13/09/2011 at 11:18 »
Nice job Iain,
How much do you reckon it cost to get all the kit for carrying out the job excluding the blanks and rod components ect??
Obviously the more rods you build the cheaper it gets as you will have all the kit for your next rod :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #55 on: 13/09/2011 at 11:30 »
Baz

1 old shoe box, a scalpel blade and a rat tailed file :wink

So not very much :z7

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #56 on: 13/09/2011 at 12:05 »
So nothing to ream corks and rod turners ect??  ???

Iain Goolager

« Reply #57 on: 13/09/2011 at 12:43 »
Hi Bart,

I'm currently in the process of ordering up stuff for another build so will need my kit sometime soon, possibly, but I can help you out with some bits and pieces and give you the use of my lathe  :z4 wrapping /turning jig (which I'm currently making into a 2 section turner - or should I say 4 section - 2 motors anyway)

Are you planning to turn your corks by hand?

I have to go but will reply in depth later

By the way I just bought razor blades so that's one item less you'll need  :z16

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #58 on: 13/09/2011 at 14:48 »
Hi Iain

What you need to build yourself is one of these

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #59 on: 13/09/2011 at 20:38 »
Alex,

I did look at one of those rod driers and it's a fair thing but doubted if I could justify the price.

I've been round the houses with this project and due to the inability to find low rpm DC motors (without going to China  :z8), suitable low cost chucks & other components I have bought another Stonefly rod turner and plan to settle on the two of these sitting close together on a plinth on my jig..................I'll post a picture sometime this week as It wont take too long to complete. 
I did notice that my original Stonefly turner still has the price on the box and it was £28.00 back in 2008?, the one recently purchased was £24.00, that's surely bucking a trend  :z16

One thing about the multi drier, do you use the bottom turner to epoxy a section of rod then transfer it to the top turner to dry, then epoxy another section in the bottom turner & transfer it to the second top turner, etc. 'till the rod is completely epoxied? I guess I'm asking if you use it when applying varnish or just purely for drying?

Iain

p.s hurry up and choose a brown blank! :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com