Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: First Rod Build - goolager
« Reply #30 on: 31/08/2011 at 10:34 »
Toshkerr,

Inspired by your advancement I waited until the first 2 sections (joined together) had turned for a couple of hours then I threw it on my stands to turn by hand as I joined the 2 top sections and 1st coated them - they turned on the turner all night.

That means final coat on the top 2 sections tonight - dry all night - all thursday - all thursday night THEN

RIVER DON ON FRIDAY FOR BROWN TROUTING!!!!!!!!!!

bet I get knocked down on the way to the river  :z19  :grin

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #31 on: 31/08/2011 at 10:46 »
bet I get knocked down on the way to the river  :z19  :grin

Iain

Just let me know which way you are going & make sure you save the rod :z4 :z4 :z4 :wink

Alex

Matt Henderson

« Reply #32 on: 31/08/2011 at 11:03 »
That means final coat on the top 2 sections tonight - dry all night - all thursday - all thursday night THEN

RIVER DON ON FRIDAY FOR BROWN TROUTING!!!!!!!!!!

Iain,

I'm not sure what Sandy or Alex would suggest but I normally leave mine for at least three or four days before casting in case the epoxy isn't properly hardened and cracks or crazes when you cast it. 

Matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #33 on: 31/08/2011 at 11:23 »
I'd give the rod at least 2 days to harden off properly after the last coat, before i would use it.
I don't think it would need much longer to be fair, But its what you feel comfy with and how much patience you have :z4
Any more, certainly wouldn't hurt.

but I WOULD give it the 2 days at least before taking it out :z18.

Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #34 on: 31/08/2011 at 11:53 »
Iain

I'm with Sandy all the way on this one,  :z16 I would not be looking to cast a rod epoxied
on Wednesday night untill at least Saturday, I know you will be dying to cast it & catch
a fish on it but the possibility of causing damage to the epoxy by rushiing the final step
is really not worth it. :z18

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #35 on: 31/08/2011 at 12:24 »
I flippin' knew it! you trio of baps are determined to spoil my fun!  :mad

I'll wager you guys buy your offspring toys for Christmas without buying the batteries just to see the dissapointment on their little faces

:mad  :mad  :roll  :z6  :grin  :z4 :cool:  :z16

Sunday It'll be then

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #36 on: 31/08/2011 at 20:16 »
I flippin' knew it! you trio of baps are determined to spoil my fun!  :mad

I'll wager you guys buy your offspring toys for Christmas without buying the batteries just to see the dissapointment on their little faces

:mad  :mad  :roll  :z6  :grin  :z4 :cool:  :z16

Sunday It'll be then

Iain

Save it till saturday then iain, it will look good loaded up with a Di5  :wink

Matt Henderson

« Reply #37 on: 31/08/2011 at 21:19 »
Iain,

As far as I know I don't have any offspring but I'll remember that trick for the wife at chritmas. She won't be happy with a rabbit without batteries ;)

On the rod front. No pictures = it didn't happen!

Cheers

Matt

Alex Burnett

« Reply #38 on: 31/08/2011 at 23:02 »
Ah Give Iain a break Matt :wink

He is probably busy trying to nick his kids batteries out of his toys,
so he cat get his camera working. :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #39 on: 01/09/2011 at 01:33 »
As far as I know I don't have any offspring but I'll remember that trick for the wife at chritmas. She won't be happy with a rabbit without batteries ;)

Alex

Matt obviously has his own problems :wink mind you if he pulls a stunt like that then I'm sure he
Might stand a chance with the offspring issue. :z7

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #40 on: 01/09/2011 at 19:23 »
Well gents that's the fishing rod complete.
This was only ever meant to be so that I could say that I've done it and perhaps add comment to other peoples posts on rod building but it turned into a long journey of jig making and side projects.

On reflection I probably should have gone for a cheap blank for the first one, that said I really can't wait to cast and catch a fish with it, hopefully it will be my 'go to' river and small stillwater rod.

There were a lot of positives (which will only be truly borne out in the field) and a few lows or points to learn from.

The part which I feel could be improved was the epoxying.
I struggled to get a level equal coat/ finish on the long section over the Wrap - Signature - Wrap. I felt that the epoxy didn't seem as thin as I thought it'd be. I expected things to self level fairly easily and it wasn't the case.

All in all I've learned quite a bit - the biggest bit is to be patient, something that isn't free flowing at the moment.

As said I'm very glad I've done it and have the ultimate respect for guys that produce clinically bespoke rods.

Roll on Sunday  :z16

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #41 on: 01/09/2011 at 19:29 »

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #42 on: 01/09/2011 at 20:01 »
looks great iain!

well done!  :z16

i decided to do a wee bit more epoxy work on mine, so should be complete by tomorrow!!  :grin

Iain Goolager

« Reply #43 on: 01/09/2011 at 20:19 »
Thanks Jonathan  :z16

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #44 on: 01/09/2011 at 20:41 »
Are you brininging it on Saturday to give us a look Iain ? Is it the VXP blank ? Looks great anyway, well done. I admire your skill and patience.

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com