Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: First Rod Build - goolager
« Reply #15 on: 24/08/2011 at 16:13 »
Degreasing - no problems

Meths if for drinking once I F*** up the epoxying  :z4

It's for tidying up if there is a bit of nastiness with the epoxy, I take it that's what to use to clean the blank if some gets where it shouldn't?

Iain

Brake cleaner? do your rods shatter on the backcast?  :z7

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 24/08/2011 at 16:13 »
Try the Chemist for your DA...they normally have to order it though if you want 500ml. The last lot i got was around £5.

If you are wanting to epoxy over the writing and you are not sure what the ink is made from, just put on a couple of coats of thread colour preserver. This seals the writing before the epoxy goes on.

For the future, get yourself a "mapping pen" from a craft shop, along with a bottle of white ink. The mapping pen is just a simple fine nib you dip into the ink. Its perfect for writig on rods. You can use it with paint too.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 24/08/2011 at 16:15 »
It's for tidying up if there is a bit of nastiness with the epoxy,

Acetone is what you want for that...again the chemists.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 29/08/2011 at 21:27 »
I'm paceing like an expectant father.........................1st 2 sections epoxied and currently turning  :o

Question, The flexi coat lite was preheated in the airing cupboard, 2.5 of each mixed (under lamps) and must have been given easily 5 min's plus but there was not the 'marbling then clear' as described in the Flexi Coat youtube 'how we mix it' video???

The expoxy that is left in the foil is stiffening up so I was wondering why that was? Have I flipped up?

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 30/08/2011 at 01:14 »
Foil? You're not meant to be injecting the stuff :z6

Why are the mixing cups, brushes and stirring stick still in the packet?
I'm confused :z6

How did you mix the epoxy? It always marbles when you start to stir it
And then it goes clear and is ready to use. Their definition of marbling looks like
You've added the tiniest drop of silver paint to the mix, a bit like a liquid soap. It's hard to describe
But it should mix to clear in about 2 mins by hand, then it's all about air bubbles, that where
The warm helps out, blow on the gently to get them to pop :wink

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 30/08/2011 at 09:37 »
Why are the mixing cups, brushes and stirring stick still in the packet?
I'm confused

Don't be confused Sandy, when I purchased the epoxy I thought I'd get some spare brushes and cups - F*** me I've loads of them now! that's what you see in the packet. Anyway stop ogling me perifferies.

I mixed it in an approved cup with an approved stirrer. Possibly did see a slight cloudyness but it didn't look as 'milk going into coffee in the adverts swirliness' as shown in the video, either way the 1st coat looks fine, there is one slight foreign spot on a section but it will be sliced and diced when I apply the final coat tonight. Green thread unpreserved dries a nice deep dark shade - cool against the blank.  :z16

Fingers crosses Brownies by the weekend!
Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #21 on: 30/08/2011 at 11:43 »
Looking good Iain :z16

Thanks, just what I needed to get me started on my next Project, the "Haddo Special"
a Barrio LC905. :wink :z18

Sorry about poor photography, new camera not arrived yet.

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 30/08/2011 at 15:16 »
Alex,
Is that a Danielsson Midge in your avatar? If so how do you find it smoothness wise? I've one for the 2wt and it feels, well, like using a washing machine when you've forgotten to remove the transit brackets.

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #23 on: 30/08/2011 at 15:24 »
Alex,
Is that a Danielsson Midge in your avatar? If so how do you find it smoothness wise? I've one for the 2wt and it feels, well, like using a washing machine when you've forgotten to remove the transit brackets.

Iain

Hi Iain

Yes it is a Danielsson Midge, not mine however, it belongs to Andre, the guy in South Africa
who has the "Elandspad Special" I built for him, he says it is like a watch & i've
seen him cast with it & it is beautiful and smooth.

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #24 on: 30/08/2011 at 21:32 »
Alex,

Is that your credit cards on the table in the second photo? I've just zoomed in on the numbers and just bought some new waders on the net - cheers  :z16

Second coat of epoxy on the 1st 2 sections...............really piddled off I didn't get another rod turner as that could be all the sections epoxied by now  :mad

will definately get another one for the next rod (that's if this one is a success in operation).

By the way Sandy that marbling effect was seen tonight when mixing, must have been looking for too drastic a clouding last time

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #25 on: 30/08/2011 at 21:38 »
Hi Iain

No those were Nordic Hotels loyalty cards which I was about to shred!!! Sorry

Alex

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #26 on: 30/08/2011 at 22:04 »
Looking forward to seeing how your rod turns out Iain.  I also epoxied mine tonight...well first coat on all 4 sections of the rod.  I didnt use a turner, just a cardboard box with v's.

Didn't take as long as i thought to coat..already looking forward to applying the next coat tomorrow night!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #27 on: 30/08/2011 at 22:35 »
Exciting times Toshkerr  :z16

Is it a massive pain using the cardboard box method and how long are you planning to turn the rod by hand for?

Are you drying your rod fully made up, in 2 sections or 4 sections?

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 31/08/2011 at 01:35 »
Alex,

Iain

Iain

The danielsson reels stay silky smooth provided you release all the tension on the centre screw after every use.
If you leave the reel with bearings under pressure then the reels very quickly become rough it's like accelerated brinelling
It only takes a few days to affect them, the only weakness to the design, but it can be avoided :z16
If yours is rough now, remove the spool and try soaking the bearings in a bath of warm oil for a bit and then exercise each one by hand until they feel a bit better, take a bit of time and you might recover them. Check the inner rim of the spool for smoothness to make sure it has no dents or indentations from the bearings. Good luck
They are great wee reels and I hope you can recover it.

Sandy

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #29 on: 31/08/2011 at 08:37 »
I dried my four sections seperately Iain. Just made sure each section was level in the box and turned them every 5minutes or so for the first hour, then every 10-15 mins for a few hours after.  It wasn't such a problem at all really using a box. When i checked them before work this morning they were all set hard - i dont know why but i actually expected them to be slightly tacky, i suppose it had been about 12 hours. 

I put my first coat on thin, just made sure i soaked the thread really and spread it over all the wrapping, so there wasn't really any sagging of the epoxy going on at all really.  i presume the next coat i do tonight i will have to keep a close eye on though as the epoxy wont have thread to soak into!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com