Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Duck and Dink
« on: 12/08/2011 at 10:13 »
I know how much some of the guys on here like the klink and dink!  I thought i would share with you the Duck and Dink.

Before everyone thinks how clever I am I will confess that i have hoovered the idea from a chap I met on the riverbank the other day.  At first I though it was 3 bunches of aerowing tied onto the hook as an indicator but on closer inspection it was cdc.

I took to the vice this morning to imitate this and here is my take on it.

25 cdc feathers and one of Phil Holdens size 14 G hooks and that is it. I think it will float like a cork!

Jim Eddie

Re: Duck and Dink
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2011 at 10:45 »
Looks very buoyant John   :z16

:z18

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2011 at 12:43 »

25 cdc feathers and one of Phil Holdens size 14 G hooks and that is it. I think it will float like a cork!

Hope no fish take it....25 feathers?? you'd be cheaper with the aerowing John  :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 12/08/2011 at 20:26 »
Hope no fish take it....25 feathers?? you'd be cheaper with the aerowing John  :z4 :z4

Or deer hair....or plain old cork! ;)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 12/08/2011 at 21:16 »
Hi John,

Even a reasonably small well tied aerowing Klink will support all but the heaviest ironmongery. Deer hair flies are good too :z16

If proper Klinkin an dinkin I like the the ability of the Dry to pull fish up and I think that that fly has payed far too many visits to the larder to be as effective as other patterns - my opinion.

If it's used purely as an indicator/ controller then I think other floating materials would be more user friendly especially if you are using it in faster water.

Let us know how you find it works in practice.

Still waiting for the picture of this big Brown  :z13

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 12/08/2011 at 22:05 »
Nicely tied John, did it take a while?

Nice though it is, I'd probably go for either a klink or some sort of deer hair creation.

I hear those thingamebobber things that Iain uses are quite good.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 12/08/2011 at 22:31 »
I honestly thought they were sweets when I bought them

John Reid

« Reply #7 on: 12/08/2011 at 22:48 »

Let us know how you find it works in practice.

Well I had an outing in the tube at Tinto this afternoon in the howling wind and gave the 'duck and dink' a go and it did the trick.  It even got taken by a 1/2 lb brownie (stupid fish).  As an indicator it was brilliant and even in a fair chop with 2 nymphs (one with a tungsten bead) it held up well.  I find a normal Klink will not hold up tungsten beads but if I dress them with plenty of aerowing then they will.  I do agree that the Klink will probably pull up more fish  :cool:

I will give it a swim tomorrow night in the Clyde and report back but I think I will tie some more as they only take 5 mins and its a wee bit different!  :shock

Here is my wee brownie Iain

PS love the bon bons  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 12/08/2011 at 22:58 »
Great Stuff Johnny R  :z16

Always good when you find something new that works.

lovely brownie too - is the Clyde fishable?

John Reid

« Reply #9 on: 12/08/2011 at 23:03 »
Thanks Iain,

The upper reaches will be fishable tomorrow night.  I have been tying zoo cougars, butt monkeys and wooly buggers so I hope the water is running quite high for streamer time!  :z7

I will also give the nymphs a run as well if the water has cleared enough.  :grin

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 12/08/2011 at 23:11 »
 :z16

best o luck

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 14/08/2011 at 10:56 »
The upper reaches will be fishable tomorrow night.  I have been tying zoo cougars, butt monkeys and wooly buggers so I hope the water is running quite high for streamer time!  :z7

Good man :z16 Give 'em a mouthful  :wink

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com