Bibios
« on: 13/08/2011 at 10:45 »
 Fresh off the press..............

Iain

Euan Innes

Re: Bibios
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2011 at 11:11 »
I like that a lot.  :z16
Last weekend there were clouds of Hawthorn flies in my neck of the woods so that should look tasty to a trout.
I have it in mind to do something similar with black ice dub  :wink

:z1

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2011 at 12:51 »
Nicwe flies Iain, perfect for your new 5 sweep  :z4
Liking the photography alot  :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2011 at 17:02 »
Only problem I can see is the ribbing being knackered by the first trout to take the fly, I had that problem with shipmans till I started using crystal flash (I think) its fine pearly woven round a fine nylon core which stops the fish shredding the rib. From the look of your spiders it will be a problem. :z14

Derek 365

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2011 at 17:54 »
Only problem I can see is the ribbing being knackered by the first trout to take the fly, I had that problem with shipmans till I started using crystal flash (I think) its fine pearly woven round a fine nylon core which stops the fish shredding the rib. From the look of your spiders it will be a problem. :z14

I was speaking to someone the other day about the fine pearl rib on my Shipmans and Big Red dries , the faded lettering on the label says 'Twinkle Krystal Flash' but it's different to yours Rabbitangler it's a hank of single strands of twisted pearl and i think it's about 15 years old.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2011 at 19:06 »
Loving the photos Iain :z16

John Reid

« Reply #6 on: 13/08/2011 at 19:14 »
Very nice Iain.  Have you invested in a mini photo studio?  :z14

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 13/08/2011 at 19:15 »
Hi Peter,

That's not mirage rib it's tin foil! I was up all night filing it to shape.  :z4

You know me Peter - one fly one fish, fair trade I think.  :wink

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 13/08/2011 at 19:18 »
Hi John,

no mini studio, have a look at Scratch & cap'n fishys' intro to photography on the Fly Fishing Forum.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 13/08/2011 at 22:24 »

Never seen Krystal Flash like that, only seen it in hanks.  I've had the same issues with flat tinsels over bodies like that.....

Try using less dubbing, twiswing on the the thread looser and wrapping the shank more loosely so when you do wind the rib, it bites down further into the body material. Also stretch the mirage tinsel before winding then wind as tight as you can get it.  You may need to go up from small to medium tinsel as the stuff become finer when stretched.  Other thing to try would be a counter rib of 10lb(ish) fluoro.

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 13/08/2011 at 22:49 »
Counter rib is good, Not sure if I spelled Crystal flash propely or as per the american way  :z4 :z4. could have been twinkle, I'll check out my hank and report back.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 13/08/2011 at 23:05 »
Me likes those! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 13/08/2011 at 23:17 »

Yeah, that's constructive Mr Dimetrodon!! >:(

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 13/08/2011 at 23:29 »

Dude,

You get sick of Bob the Builder tonight?  :z4

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #14 on: 13/08/2011 at 23:34 »

Tut tut loose the date Iain. What would cap'n fishy say :z10

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com