Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

manxman22

Salmon??.....rain??!
« on: 20/09/2006 at 12:19 »
Hi there,

I've been looking expectedly at the weather forecasts and see you've had a bit of rain up there recently?

Has this induced a few salmo salar to run? How is the river fishing?

I'm up at the end of next week and would appreciate any info.....

Thanks a lot.

Manxman

Rob Brownfield

Salmon??.....rain??!
« Reply #1 on: 20/09/2006 at 14:12 »
We had heavy rain last night for a while (Donside), but I think the ground is soaking most of it up. My lochs in the garden are still very very low and the feeder burns are still as dry as a bone. :(

wildfisher

Salmon??.....rain??!
« Reply #2 on: 20/09/2006 at 15:22 »
I was speaking with the chap who runs the tackle shop in Ballater on Monday. High water brought a good number of fish up the Dee recently. Unfortunately I think the Dee closes in 10 days. (30th September).

Irvine Ross

River Levels
« Reply #3 on: 20/09/2006 at 17:41 »
The rain at the end of last week brought the Don up to about 10" above normal summer level over Saturday and now it is running steady at 1" but more rain forecast for tomorrow. It has certainly got the fish moving on the Dee so I would expect the Don to be the same.

I might be out on Saturday if the fates are willing so, if I make it, I will let you know how things are looking.

Irvine

manxman22

Salmon??.....rain??!
« Reply #4 on: 29/09/2006 at 10:36 »
Did you manage a trip Hares Lug?

Off up north tomorrow, so getting v excited now...just hoping for more rain! How does the Dee do, it seems to be constantly up at the moment!

Manxman

Dave Gordon

Salmon??.....rain??!
« Reply #5 on: 29/09/2006 at 20:04 »
The Dee has been running at about a foot and has been tea coloured for a couple of weeks now, but has a good stock of fish. My dee season finished today as I cannot fish tomorrow but catches have been good enough. Not up to the best seaons but basically a fish a trip. Had a 6lb coloured cock tuesday, a 12lb hen wednesday and another 6 lb cock today, so quite happy as i could only make the 3 days. And once I have one i tend to relax and spend the day chatting and mucking about. I am a C&R fan so the colour does not bother me all that much, though shiny ones fight best.

The don is fishing now but needs some water to really kick things off.

Rob Brownfield

Salmon??.....rain??!
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/2006 at 13:02 »
Well..yesterday, at 11am, the Don near me was yellow as yellow can be! I actually stood there and watched the river rising, and then turning yellow. Within 3 hours it had lost the colour but was still high.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com