Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

orvis hydros
« on: 11/08/2011 at 23:17 »
hi all

has anyone got the orvis hydros, if so how are you finding it?

cheers adam

Ben Dixon

Re: orvis hydros
« Reply #1 on: 11/08/2011 at 23:19 »
Hi Adam,

Which one are you looking at?

Cheers

Ben

adambrain

« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2011 at 23:36 »
Hi Adam,

Which one are you looking at?

Cheers

Ben

ah just the right man.............
gonna get the hydros II large arbor.
sorry did you think i meant a rod?
i would have liked one of those but the missus would kill me, im gettin the western III 10" #4 TO GO WITH THE REEL

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2011 at 23:47 »
Ah, reels.  I thought you were talking rods.

Nice reels, light, very good drag for the price and seem to have good hard anodising.  Iain (Goolager) has one in the size you are looking at, hopefully he'll see this.

Cheers

Ben

adambrain

« Reply #4 on: 11/08/2011 at 23:54 »
yeh sorry i was just modifying my post when i realised you thought i was talking about rods, sorry.

cheers ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 12/08/2011 at 20:31 »
Ben, someone else today told me the Battenkill LA spool will fit the Hydros..I know you said it wouldn't, but have you physically tried it? Would be great if it did as then I won't have 6 spare spools sitting doing nothing :)

Cheers
Rob

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 12/08/2011 at 21:02 »
Ben, someone else today told me the Battenkill LA spool will fit the Hydros..I know you said it wouldn't, but have you physically tried it? Would be great if it did as then I won't have 6 spare spools sitting doing nothing :)

Cheers
Rob

The VI definitely does not fit Rob, not even with a hammer and Iains handle turner will it fit.  You're welcome to bring your spools down to the shop and have a try with like sized Hydros reels but I'd be suprised if they fit.  I have not played with the smaller ones but all sizes have a very different spool to drag interface to the LA.  How did you end up with the spools and no reel?
If you're coming down bring the child, had a stack of boxes arrive tonight  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 12/08/2011 at 21:29 »
Adam they are very very good reels.
They tick all the boxes & I'm toying with getting another once I get family allowance claim through for my ficticious  children.
The clicker can also be silenced very easily

Definately worth a trip to Bankory  :z16

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 20/08/2011 at 20:22 »
Hi Ben, I have 2 of the reels and the spools I bought from you..but I was looking into the future in that if I wanted another IV sized reel, I would hev to buy different spools.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #9 on: 21/08/2011 at 20:20 »
Irene how does one silence the clicker? Might have picked up a hydros myself too!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 21/08/2011 at 20:35 »
Matt,

Remove the spool.
On the inside of the spool there is a whitish PVC spring loaded detente plunger type thing that is held in by a retainer which has a screwdriver slot.
The screwdriver head depresses the plunger as it locates into the slot - unscrew - job done!

Well done Orvis, this feature leaves Sage in the shade.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com