Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

BFCC - British Fly Casting Club
« on: 10/08/2011 at 16:24 »
If anybody has been thinking about joining the BFCC ( events mainly based in England ) there will be a meeting in Scotland next month and a few forum members are going to attend.

If you are interested in going along, send me a PM for more details if you wish, or you will find the date and location in the events calendar on the BFCC website .... via the banner at the bottom of the page.

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

Re: BFCC - British Fly Casting Club
« Reply #1 on: 10/08/2011 at 23:13 »
I'm going to the event  :cool:

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 16/08/2011 at 21:20 »
I'll be going, think John R will be too.

Any other takers?

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2011 at 21:28 »
I'm booked in thanks to Mr B for the heads up  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2011 at 22:22 »
Great day today ....... a tad wet and windy, but great company and some pretty awesome casting considering the conditions!
It was good to meet up with friends that I haven't seen for a while and to put faces to names of many more :z16

Well done Hamish! ....... excellent casting today! :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2011 at 23:00 »
Superb day today despite the weather, great turn out (John R WTF happened to you, hangover is not an excuse)

Our day started off with a few beers at the Premier Inn Glasgow Airport, cheap & more than adequate.

Few pics from the day

Big thanks to all those who made the days happen, event was very well attended despite the grim weather, didn't really notice it myself but there have been better days for throwing lines in a field.

Serious faces along the line

Hamish young YMCA gets his tracking checked

Mike throws the TCR5, more on Mike later  :wink

Some of the guys from the Glasgow CC having a play with the T120 salmon distance outfit, was good to meet some of the Glasgow boys, some pretty awesome casting on display

This thing is called a salmon distance outfiit but it is about as far removed from a salmon rod as it gets.  I believe the blank is a 3.5lb test curve carp blank fitted with a level spacer at the butt end to make it up to 17'.  The line is a tungsten head about 60' long tied to 6lb stren, not sure how much it weighs but it's a lot.  In the right hands in good conditions these things will go to well over 200', very hard work but great fun

Mick Bell (Bloke) throwing the T120 & John Reynolds on the T38

The T38 is another casting sport outfit that has no connection to anything fishing related, again very good fun but hard work.  The T38 outfit is a 9'6" rod that would come in about a 17 weight if rated for fishing.  The line used is a 50 ish foot 38 gram tungsten shooting head backed with 6lb Stren.  This set up is also capable of distances of over 200' in the right hands in good conditions, more than about 10 minutes really starts to hurt.

For me the highlight of the day was Mr Barrio getting his 35 yard badge, Mike chucked a cast of 105' something with a GT140S #9 on my Helios 909TF, well deserved Mike, I know you've been putting the time in.

Mike Barrio receives his badge from Mike Marshall

Hamish (I don't practice & I'm not very good) Young managed to take first place in the #5 competition with a cast of 110'10", a serious result in the conditions we had today, trying to straighten a back cast with enough carry to take any line over 100' was very difficult.  That really puts you up there H, I suggest you go buy a TCR5 cos I is not lending you mine again  :z7

Hamish getting his 1st place trophy from Mike.  H also won the B100 competition.  This is for folk who don't cast competitively, I think he was pulling a bit a fast one entering in that class anyway but now he has won it he now has to cast in the elite class at any future meets, I think there is also some rule about getting all the coffees in for the three BFCC meets after winning B100 class.
H also picked up a 35yard badge and only just missed out on the 40.

Day finished off with the obligatory shit greasy fishing meal a Stirling before we left to come home.  Hopefully Hamish made it back safe, there appeared to be quite a lot of stuff hanging off the bottom of his car as we came back up the road  :z4

bit of casting footage here, did not take very much, was a bit wet for the camera.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2011 at 06:33 »
Great stuff guys, well done Mike & Hamish  :z16

:z18

Jim

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2011 at 07:40 »
Congrats to both of you.
Mike, good job dude. Maybe you can stop saying that you can't cast a line now... :z7

H, told ya this would happen :z16
Does the lack of a beard make the line go further?

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 12/09/2011 at 10:16 »
Thanks chaps  :cool:
A couple of drinks on saturday night were a must after my entertaining drive down to Glasgow - think my eyes were on stalks when I arrived :shock

After a not bad breakfast at the Premier Inn I had a most enjoyable day chucking fluff, I very nearly didn't notice the pissing rain which generally soaked me or the howling gale which occasionally made casting 'character building'  :z4

Nice catching up with old friends and I would love to say that I had the chance to meet lots of new folk (and a in a roundabout kind of way I did) but it went by so quickly I seemed to miss the opportunity to talk to as many folk as I'd have liked.
I mean, how often would you find yourself in a field with the owners of two rod building companies (Mick Bell - Bloke rods and David Norwich) and a fly line producer Mr B himself :? Not often is the answer. The Barrio lines saw plenty of action over the day and I think I've finally got my head around the GT140.

There's no doubt that the constant nagging from Ben Dixon GIMP (Generally Improve My Performance) is paying dividends with my casting, I couldn't help but have a wry grin on my chops when folk talked about my 'unconventional style' but it's just the way I cast and habits are hard to break.....at least this time Mike Heritage didn't say I couldn't cast one of his rods in case I broke it :z4
Nice getting the 35 yard badge with a #7wt outfit, as Ben says I only just missed out on the 40 but will be back again to do better next time. I'm not very good and don't practise so perhaps it will take some time :z7

I must get a T38 outfit in my life, that's just insanely good fun and it was a lesson in technique watching the BFCC chaps chucking that and the T120 an awfully long way.
A big thank you to the Glasgow Casting Club and the BFCC for making the event happen, thoroughly enjoyed myself and look forward to the next one north of the border. Who knows.... may make an effort to attend another one south of the border next year.

Euan - yes.... I find it means less wind resistance without a beard :!

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 12/09/2011 at 10:32 »
Hamish,

I've known you so long now that I thought that your casting style IS the way to cast and that I'd been struggling all these years to get it right. You mean you're doing it "wrong"???  :z7 :z7 :z7

The lack of beard means that we'll have to trim the boat differently now as well.

GIMP - snigger snigger  :z4

:z1

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 12/09/2011 at 18:16 »
A Large WELL DONE gents.  :z16

Great reward for hard effort!

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #11 on: 12/09/2011 at 18:54 »
Aye , aye chiels. Nae bad.   :z14

It might have been cold and windy, but at least you didn't come home empty handed (like I did on the Don on Saturday)

Irvine

John Reid

« Reply #12 on: 12/09/2011 at 19:32 »
Bustard!!!  Really dissapointed i didn't make this due to work  :mad :mad a broken down machine and an irate customer was not the ideal way to spend a wet Sunday......

Well done Mike and Hamish I am well impressed.

I got a call from Wullie (Streamerdaft) last night on his way home and he was telling me he was talking to you Ben.  He is now desperate to come up to the Don for a day.  I agreed with him and we will try to get up before the end of the season.

Wish i had been there looked like a cracking day!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 12/09/2011 at 19:37 »
Bustard!!!  Really dissapointed i didn't make this due to work  :mad :mad a broken down machine and an irate customer was not the ideal way to spend a wet Sunday......

Well done Mike and Hamish I am well impressed.

I got a call from Wullie (Streamerdaft) last night on his way home and he was telling me he was talking to you Ben.  He is now desperate to come up to the Don for a day.  I agreed with him and we will try to get up before the end of the season.

Wish i had been there looked like a cracking day!

You'd be welcome to crash if you ned to, just give me a shout.  Back end can be good with the streamers.

Cheers

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #14 on: 12/09/2011 at 20:13 »
Sounds like a good plan.

Need to get some orange coneheads tied up  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com