Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Loch Lee
« on: 10/08/2011 at 15:44 »
Kev and I went up there last night.
Due to crap traffic we didn't get on the water until just after 19.00, on what looked like a cracking evening. There were no rises visible but it looked promising. Got the boat launched and set off for the burn inflow. The wind changed for what was going to be the first of many times and we ended getting pushed straight at the bank.
We fired up the motor and came back round to the edge of the calm water below the north bank. Loads of fish rising, but no wind. Still we got a couple before getting back into the good drift wind. Picked up a few more in the ripple before trying the burn again. Another couple there too.
It then got cold, with a biting wind coming off the south shore and the dark descended. Bye bye fish and bye bye us! :cry

All in all it was fun on a really pretty night. The fish had to be targeted rather than just cover the water. See a rise, drop your flies on it and get ready for action. The fish were not huge but good fun as always, although we did see some better fish moving and I had a really solid draw that wasn't a sprachle. Dropped it... :oops

The flies? Very large to very small, static and pulled, #8 long shank to #16 dry.
It was just one of those nights...

:z1

Jim Eddie

Re: Loch Lee
« Reply #1 on: 10/08/2011 at 19:50 »
Many a year since i've been to Loch Lee soundmannie  :wink Nice report, want to buy a cheap camera  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 10/08/2011 at 21:54 »
Kevin & Soundmixer,

Agree with Jim, no pictures  :z8     FAIL!

Bet it was a crackin evening though.  :z12

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 10/08/2011 at 22:01 »
So when I put this glass of wine down and get my camera out of my fishing bag there will be photos.
Sorry lads, just not had the time. I wrote the report at work on a "quiet"day.
Two men fish Loch Lee, film at 11 (for those of you who remember that kind of reporting)

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 10/08/2011 at 22:40 »

Captain Muir

West towards the river

South towards the burn mouth

East towards the dam

There are no pictures of fish because I don't have three arms! I always think that getting the fish back in the water is better than grabbing the camera. Hell, I know what they looked like :z4

Kevin Muir

« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2011 at 23:04 »
The weather gods were king to Euan and I last night, a bit more wind would have been better but the fish were playing ball and the average size was better than usual at about 10". 

No char to the boat but they were rising for a very brief spell and I should have swapped to much smaller flies for them sooner.  The brief rises from the Char died out very quickly when the flat calm was rplaced with a ripple, the Trout made up for it though.

A great evening and I must make the effort to get up there more next year.

Kev.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2011 at 23:07 »
Nice photos Euan :z16

Don't think I've ever seen Kevin in a boat :z3 maybe you were towing his tube? :z8

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 10/08/2011 at 23:10 »
10"?  that's a good size  :z16

Pity about the Char - are you saying that they could be had off the surface? I thought they were typically taken on sinking lines deeper down?  Don't know, never fished for them.

Nice pictures! :z16

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #8 on: 10/08/2011 at 23:25 »
Looks very nice.  :z16

Have you given up tubing in teabag waders Kevin?  :z4 :z4

I fancy having a go at the char.  Thinking about heading out on the tube on Friday afternoon myself.

Anyone with any recommendations  in the Lanarkshire area would be appreciated.  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 10/08/2011 at 23:47 »
I think they allow tubing at the Tinto Fishery John?

Their brownie water is a box that I would like to tick :wink

Cheers
Mike

John Reid

« Reply #10 on: 10/08/2011 at 23:58 »
Sounds like a good idea Mike!  I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.  :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 11/08/2011 at 07:38 »
"No char to the boat but they were rising for a very brief spell and I should have swapped to much smaller flies for them sooner."

It was definitely a case for having two rods set up. The Char were rising freely and close in to the becalmed boat that even my #3 bamboo would have been enough to put a wee klink or f-fly on target. Note to self...

I would choke a rioter to get a tube onto Loch Lee, even with it's unpredictable weather. The way the corrie at the west end funnels the wind down the loch it can get a bit blowy, but I'd take the chance just to hang around the burn mouth in a good ripple.

I want another go before the season ends! :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com