Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

nailchapper

sea trout @ newburgh
« on: 04/08/2011 at 17:33 »
Hey Folks

Been some good sea trout sport down on the Ythan at Newburgh the last couple of months..had a good few myself and lost a good few!![biggest about 3lb]. Did a boat tide the last week of trades, my mate took home a nice 3&1/4lber along wth a 2&1/2lber, I released 3 and lost 3..not bad for 5hrs fishing!!! :z4. Took on the role of river watcher couple months back so been keeping an eye on proceedings and watched a good few fish getting caught!..Its been fishing well with the fly on the ebb and at low water, watched a guy lose 2 on the fly tuesday nite!!...So folks if you fancy some sea trout sport there is still avialability in August, boat or bank. The fishery manager is Audrey and you will get her on 01358 789297 or audrey.forbes@yahoo.co.uk

Visit Website;  www.ythanfishery.co.nr

If you fancy it and its your first time give me a shout and will gladly be of assistance...Tight Lines :z2

Offthebard

Re: sea trout @ newburgh
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2011 at 18:54 »
Hi NailChapper,

Just wondered which flees were doing the damage, I've had some luck here in the south fishing the tides on the low water and have found small shrimp patterns and green GRHE have been most effective.

Had a good scrap the other night with a +5lb Mullet surprise - very good fighters on the fly. He took the Green GRHE - very solid fish almost like tuna or channel mackarel when handled. Was covered in big scales before I could unhook it and watch it swim off :z4.

Sandy.   

nailchapper

« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2011 at 22:02 »
Hi Sandy

The most common used is the terror, don't now if your familiar with them...tied normally with a couple of white or blue feathers and a bit of flash round the body or as a tail{sandeel }. I can't fly tie but find these very simple and easy to do. What i've found that the trout have been full of minnows when caught but i normal fish boat tides with a spinning rod. The Bridge water in august is fly only and can be very productive with the terror at low water.

Scott

Offthebard

« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2011 at 12:32 »
Cheers Scott,

Think I'll give something along those lines a try next time I'm in the tide. :z16

Sandy.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com