Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Callum Imray

Big Don Trout
« on: 03/08/2011 at 19:02 »

Folks,

I’m a regular reader of the forum, but have never posted before. Given the fact that there are obviously some serious wild trout enthusiasts on here, I felt the need to share the attached photo.

In my opinion, the photo shows the absolute definition of the unbeatable quality of specimen Wild Brown Trout that the River Don has to offer.

No measurements or weights taken, but with 20 years of fishing experience, I will happily put 5lb on it, possibly larger.

I can honestly say it was a true privilege to encounter what, in my opinion, is the perfect example of what top quality Wild Brown Trout the Don has to offer and an even bigger honour to return the fish and see it swim off strongly into the deep pool, which I expect it has inhabited for many years and hopefully many more.

Caught on the worm while fishing for salmon on the ADAA Parkhill waters (yes, I know this defeats the title of this Forum, but none the less I thought the photo would be appreciated and wanted to share)

Thanks,

Callum

*** Photo resized and added to post - Hamish ***

Callum Imray

Re: Big Don Trout
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2011 at 19:09 »
As mentioned in the above post, I've never posted before and it seems the attached photo above is far too large for the page.

If any other members are capable of re-sizing the photo, then by all means please do. Or, if anyone can advise on how I can do this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Callum

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 03/08/2011 at 19:15 »
Callum

Thats a cracking troot , even if it was caught on the Garden Fly  :z4 I think I'd be giving it more than 5lb  :wink
I think only Mike or a moderator can resize the photo ?

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 03/08/2011 at 19:37 »
Have edited initial post.
That's a lovely trout, regardless of method that must have gone well  :z16

:z3

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 03/08/2011 at 22:26 »
Lovely trout! Thanks for posting the pic :z16 Good to hear it went back :z16

Callum Imray

« Reply #5 on: 04/08/2011 at 10:26 »
Thanks for the comments gents. Glad the pic was appreciated.

Hamish, thanks for re-sizing the photo, and yes, it did go well! Initially thought I was into a Salmon, so was a little surprised to say the least when the huge, beautifully spotted trout showed itself. In twenty years of fishing, I can honestly say I have never seen a fish travel at the speed of this one, usually heading straight for the bank! It was like an express train and that’s compared to catching many a Sea liced Salmon, straight from the sea.

Thanks,

Callum

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 04/08/2011 at 13:22 »
Well done Callum, the method never matters it's always the man..... you are obviously the man  :z4 :z4 :z18

Andy Finlay

« Reply #7 on: 04/08/2011 at 14:00 »
Think I might head out and start digging up the flower beds, those garden flys certainly seem to do the trick. Lovely looking fish  :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 04/08/2011 at 14:42 »
Great looking fish Callum, well done  :z16

John Reid

« Reply #9 on: 04/08/2011 at 20:28 »
Fantastic fish and I'm heartened to see it going back.   :z16

Offthebard

« Reply #10 on: 05/08/2011 at 12:36 »
Nice troot,

bet you'll be having a cast or two in that pool in the years to come. :z16

Sandy.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com